Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Brake Light Issue

25K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jbw4 
#1 ·
So here's my issue: My passenger side brake light doesn't work whenever I press the brake. The driver side and third brake light come on and work just fine, and the lights come on both sides at night. I replaced the bulb thinking the high beam for the brake light on it was blown, but the issue remains with the new bulb as well. Does anyone have any idea why only 1 brake light would go out but the bulb would still work when the lights come on at night? I thought maybe the brake switch, but then both brake lights would not work. Any solutions or things for me to check would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped at the moment.

#3 ·
Before you go through all that trouble try unscrewing the assembly and disconnect/connect the harness plugs back together. My buddy had that problem and some how one of the plugs had just worked its self loose. Hasn't had trouble since.

#4 ·
Awesome, I will try the harness thing when I get my truck back. Just dropped it off to have a leveling kit put on it :D (pics will be posted soon) I failed to mention that I had already checked the fuses and all were in good shape. I found another topic on another site where a guy had the same issue with his silverado except it was on the left side and he had replaced his hazard relay box as it had gone bad. Here's to hoping its just the harness plug :|

#6 ·
yeah, the taillight on that side works and the light blinks bright whenever i hit the unlock button on my remote. but when i press the brake pedal it wont light up like the left side does. its like the light works for everything else but theres no signal response from it when the pedal is depressed.

#7 ·
Check all the fuses. I think there are some extra ones under the hood labeled trailer. I remember something odd about extra fuses being used for when you tow. Other than that I'd say check it the old fashoned way and trace the wires with a lest light and an ohm meter. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.