Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

disable automatic headlights 2000 silverado

28K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  master of wires 
#1 ·
anybody???

#2 ·
If you turn the headlight knob all the way to the left the Daytime Running Lights will turn off. You probably already knew that though and don't want to do that every time I'm guessing.

I am curious to know your reasons for wanting to disable an important safety feature :?

From my research I've determined that there is not an easy way to defeat these since there's no separate circuit for the DRL's. Defeat the DRL's and you'll have no low beam headlamps.

#3 ·
Unfortunately disabling the DRL's isn't as simple as pulling the fuse however the DRL's should be able to be disabled by grounding the DRL defeat switch signal from the BCM. It is the light green wire coming into the headlamp switch on the 12 cavity connector pin F. Grounding that wire should stop your DRL's from coming on.

#4 ·
On my 2002 Sierra I pulled the dash pod off, took the switch out, and removed the spring that causes the knob turn back to the ON position. With this spring removed the knob stays in the OFF position like Austin was mentioning turning the knob all the way to the left.

#5 ·
depending on if you have the 99 style bcm or the 00-01 style you either push the dome override button 4 or 5 times to override them (00-01 style) or if its the 99 style there is no way to turn them off, i ended up changing my bcm to a 00-01 one just to be able to turn them off, otherwise you have to bypass the ambient light sensor on the dash to make them not come on unless you turn them on manually. let me know if you need the details on how to bypass the sensor if you want to if you have that bcm.

#6 ·
just added a resister the light sensor circut on my 99. works great. really simple mod. :mrgreen:

#8 ·
1999 silverado .. the under hood fuse box remove the cover and to the right the fender bracket and pull the lower fuse box cover then there are 2 screws and 2 clips.. holding the fuse box lift up the fuse fender side up looking at the plugs on the right lower big green plug there are 2 white wires that start a row from top to bottom that is a head lamp switch and DRL wire cut 1 leave room to reconnect turn ignition or light switch on.. when you find the 1 now you have disabled the DRL..... simply does not power up the head lamp relay and when the key is on in the daylight the high beam indicator will be on.. turn on head lamp switch light will go out

#9 ·
master of wires said:
1999 silverado .. the under hood fuse box remove the cover and to the right the fender bracket and pull the lower fuse box cover then there are 2 screws and 2 clips.. holding the fuse box lift up the fuse fender side up looking at the plugs on the right lower big green plug there are 2 white wires that start a row from top to bottom that is a head lamp switch and DRL wire cut 1 leave room to reconnect turn ignition or light switch on.. when you find the 1 now you have disabled the DRL..... simply does not power up the head lamp relay and when the key is on in the daylight the high beam indicator will be on.. turn on head lamp switch light will go out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.