Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Has anyone wired up an under hood light in your trucks?

13K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  TweedleyD 
#1 ·
I just purchased a light on ebay for $15.00. It has a built in Mercury switch in it so all I'll need to do is give it power (fused of course) and a ground. From what I was reading was that the switch will close when the hood is about 1/2 way open. Anyone done this mod on here yet?

here is the light I purchased

#3 ·
Yep. Just wondered because when I searched on here I couldn't find any post of anyone doing this

#6 ·
I purchased a harness and a tilt light from Mopar. My 99 WJ had the light and the parts were 40.00 buck from the Jeep dealer. They just showed up in the mail this week, I'll post a small how to when they get installed. I liked the nice factory look of the harness and light. Bright and never failed for 11 years in my WJ.

Mopar Part 56042574AD Underhood lamp wiring.
Mopar Part 56021441 Underhood lamp.

Flame Away....

LGSONE

#7 ·
I did this mod to my 2003 about a year ago with a new AC Delco part from my dealer. I'll post a couple of pics and a how to later today.

#8 ·
I was slightly annoyed that my truck didn't have a light under the hood but as it turned out this was a real simple installation on my 2003 Silverado. The newer trucks should be about the same. I bought a new underhood light from GM so I could see how it mounts. The first thing you need to do is cut a slot in the underhood pad where the light will mount. As you can see in the photo there is a slot on either side of the oval hole. These slots are where the hood light snaps into. I ran one wire to 12+, I used a ring terminal to the junction box, and the other one I grounded to the firewall. I covered the wires in the loom protector for a more OEM look, and installed a fuse inline. This was easier than tapping into the fuse box. The hood light works good and it beats digging around for a flashlight when your only under teh hood for a minute or two.

Attachments

#15 ·
My 74 Ranchero has one and none of the newer cars/trucks I've had have one until I got my 2002 Silverado. I couldn't believe it. The salesman popped the hood and I saw it and it wasn't working, he flicked it with his finger and presto it came on. Nice :D I usually have to give it a little tap to come on but I might just need to take the bulb out and clean the contacts. I wonder about putting an LED bulb in it. I'll check it out the next time I'm under the hood.

#17 ·
My 01 has one I had to rewire... but its oe. Tbh its not very bright. I have a magnetic led work light that I use most of the time.

#19 ·
Waldo said:
I was wondering the same thing when I first opened the hood of my 03. My 93 has a hood light on a spool. You pull it out and flip a switch. The part with the bulb has a magnet. I will have to see if I can still order one of these for the 03.
I found one of these on ebay. My 93 Subarban had this same light too :D

#21 ·
i have always mounted underhood lights where i didnt have them. i've always installed 2 or 3 with a weatherproof switch under the hood. where 1 light is good, 3 is always better!
i also had "rock lights" in the wheel wells of 1 of my Jeeps (for night wheeling), and they were on quick-connects so i could pull it out and look at the undercarriage with a good powerful light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.