Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Disconnecting a battery on a 2005 Silverado.

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BuxCamper 
#1 ·
I know this a noob question but I wanna make sure I won't mess any thing up...I was wondering what would happen if you disconnect the battery ? Will it cause the 6 disc cd player to lock out? or trip the security alarm?

#2 ·
Automotive suppliers have products that will plug into your cigarette lighter that will supply power to the vehicle as you disconnect the battery. If you are worried about "messing something up", I suggest you use one. Most times all that happens when you disconnect the battery, is you lose your clock time and presets on your radio. Hope this helps! I disconnected mine for about two minutes as I changed batteries and NOTHING HAPPENED!

#4 ·
You'll be OK since changing a battery is a normal maintenace thing. Everyone will do it eventually. I think one of the radio connections is just a jumper (though it may not be obvious) that will tell it when it has been removed from the vehicle and possibly trip the security feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.