Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2014 Sierra Towing with 3.42

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  fondupot 
#1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2014 Sierra with the 3.42 rear end. How will it perform for towing. the heavyest that i will tow maybe once a year would be about 5000lbs, and tow about 1500 to 3500 lbs 12 times a year. I have the 3.73 with a 4 speed now. Should i wait until GM comes out with the 3.73. It will be used mainly as a daily commuter. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I sdon't want to spend all that money and then not be satisfied with the performance of the truck.

#2 ·
Should be able to pull 5000 lbs no problem. I think the max tow on a 5.3 half ton with 3.42 is 9600lbs. So you are well within the capability of the truck.

As for daily commuting, I am still breaking in my 2014 w/5.3 and 3.42s. I am averaging about 16.5 mpgs in around town traffic. I hope once it breaks in ill be able to get 17.5-18.5. As of right now I only have 1200 miles on the truck.

Edit: here are some numbers from the manual. I have a PDF version on my computer. Depending on whether you get the double cab (extended cab) or the crew cab the tow rating changes about 100lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.