Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

What is the max towing on my truck?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  #32 
#1 ·
I was trying to find out, and it sound like 5k is my max but that sounds low for a full size truck, I could do that with the Explorer. The truck has the factory supplied hitch on it, I have the 5.3 with 3.73 axles and its a 1500. I was going to start using it to tow the Explorer to wheeling events so I don't have to worry about breakage, will this truck be okay pulling a flat bed car trailer with a 4+k SUV on it?

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry work was busy and didn't have much free time to reply! You guys are awesome. Tomorrow I'll be towing, a 16 ft enclosed trailer filled with house hold stuff, and this trailer isn't equipped with brakes so I'll be takin'er easy, the rear of the truck sure is sagging now lol, glad I'm not still using the Explorer for this stuff.

#6 ·
bowhunterchris said:
I have an 03 Sierra with 5.3, 3.73, factory receiver hitch. Max tow weight is 8,800 traditional, 7700 fifth wheel. Im pulling a 4500lbs tractor this weekend and total weight will be roughly 5500 with trailer. But no trailer breaks :shock:
That is dangerous, and not a good idea. The legal weight limit for a non brake equipped trailer in my state is 3000 lbs anything more and trailer brakes are required, cause a injury or death and your looking at serious jail time and fines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.