Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Service Airbag

65K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  John Newkirk 
#1 ·
The other day my service airbag message appeared in the DIC and the light came on. I have no idea whats going on..looking for ideas..and I already let the thought cross my mind of setting it on fire and rolling it down a hill..so yeah lol..Ive tried some ideas i found online..supposedly there is a wire that grounds out by the parking brake, but it checked out ok. Any ideas let me know.

#2 ·
One very common airbag problem is what's called a "clock spring" which is in the steering column right under the steering wheel. It's called that because it simply looks like a clock spring that winds and unwinds. This is how they could make a positive electrical connection to the airbag and still be able to turn the wheel back and forth. It should also feed power to any other steering wheel connections (horn, cruise, etc). See if those things are working. If not, it's probably the clock spring.

To replace it requires pulling the steering wheel...not a real easy DIY project.

#3 ·
Well i think im closer to solving the problem....I noticed today that the passenger air bag sensor isnt working..shows it off while the passanger (my wife) is sitting there. I do know i was moving the seat back and forth trying to dig something out between the console and seat the same day this happened..so im hoping i pulled a wire.

#4 ·
#02-09-41-002A: Air Bag Lamp On, Passenger Air
Bag Indicator Always Reads OFF, DTC B0092 Set
(Repair Passenger Presence System (PPS) Sensor
Harness) - (Mar 24, 2004)
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year. Please discard Corporate
Bulletin Number 02-09-41-002 (Section 09 -- Restraints).
Condition
Some customers may comment that the Air Bag Lamp is on and the Passenger Air Bag indicator
always reads OFF. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC B0092 set.
Cause
The cause of this condition may be a shorted Passenger Presence System (PPS) sensor wire.
The PPS sensor harness is located under the front passenger seat. This harness may be pinched
between the seat frame and the track/riser.
Correction
Subject: Air Bag Lamp On, Passenger Air Bag Indicator Always
Reads OFF, DTC B0092 Set (Repair Passenger Presence
System (PPS) Sensor Harness)
Models: 2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2004 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
with Sensor Indicator Inflatable Restraint Front Passenger/Child
Presence Detector (RPO ALO)
Locate the PPS sensor (1) and inspect the harness for proper routing. If the harness is pinched
between the seat frame and the track/riser, use the procedure listed below to repair wire(s).
1. Move the front passenger seat to the full rearward and full tilt up position.
2. Loosen the seat frame to track/riser nut and remove the harness.
3. Tighten the seat frame to track/riser nut.
4. Repair any damaged wires. Refer to Wiring Repairs in the Wiring Systems sub-section of
the Service Manual.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor
Operation Description Labor Time
N6624
Wiring and/or Connector, Occupant
Safety - Repair
Use published labor
operation time
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that
may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the
equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin
applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the
information.

#5 ·
I know this is an old post but I just had a similar experience with mu 07.5 Silverado. The service air bag light came on. I ended up just sitting in the passenger seat and starting my truck and the airbag light switched to on and the service airbag notification went off. I got up out of the seat and the airbag switched to off and the notification light was still off. This seemed to have's fixed mu problem. Maybe it will work for someone else also.

#6 ·
Hi Alexander.Hovis,

Are you continuing to experience the issue with your service air bag light being on? I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem and I am more than happy to look into this concern for you. I understand that you are looking for an explanation and I know that someone will step in and give you their advice. If you have any lingering questions, please feel free to private message me.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

#7 ·
GM Customer Service said:
Hi Alexander.Hovis,

Are you continuing to experience the issue with your service air bag light being on? I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem and I am more than happy to look into this concern for you. I understand that you are looking for an explanation and I know that someone will step in and give you their advice. If you have any lingering questions, please feel free to private message me.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Everything appears to be fine. I have not seen the service message again. I will definitely keep that in mind though.

#8 ·
Alexander.Hovis said:
GM Customer Service said:
Hi Alexander.Hovis,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Everything appears to be fine. I have not seen the service message again. I will definitely keep that in mind though.
We're happy to hear this, Alexander! We are here if our help is ever needed!

Kristen A. (Assisting Jennifer)
GM Customer Care

#9 ·
EKinMN said:
One very common airbag problem is what's called a "clock spring" which is in the steering column right under the steering wheel. It's called that because it simply looks like a clock spring that winds and unwinds. This is how they could make a positive electrical connection to the airbag and still be able to turn the wheel back and forth. It should also feed power to any other steering wheel connections (horn, cruise, etc). See if those things are working. If not, it's probably the clock spring.

To replace it requires pulling the steering wheel...not a real easy DIY project.
I'm curious about an issue I'm having with my truck. I see on my dash a "Service Passenger Airbag" light on all the time regardless of the weight in the passenger seat or if I have the bag turned on or not. My horn is not working (only control on the steering wheel) either. This is leading me to believe it could be a clock spring connectivity issue but here's the confusing part: The warning light specifies the PASSENGER AIR BAG not the driver's side so how would the clock spring, in the steering wheel, affect the passenger side?? Or is it just a coincidence that my horn is broke and my air bag light is on and he nothing to do with the clock spring.. Pretty frustrating

#10 ·
I have a "sort of" related issue. I have a 2005 Sierra 1500 SLE that was a previous theft recovery. I'm not sure why the idiots that stole it did this, but they cut the pigtail off the wiring harness where the sensors in the seats plug in. (Idiots because the DIDN'T take the seats!) I need a pigtail to repair the wiring harness on the passenger seat side. Is there a GM or aftermarket pigtail available that someone can point me to?

It is a split bench seat, non-power on the passenger seat.

TIA

#11 ·
I need to make a correction to my earlier post. (Makes me feel as dump as the idiots that stole the truck to begin with. :p )

The truck has BUCKET seats, not a split bench. It has the fold-up armrest that can be used for another passenger. The driver's seat is a 4-way power. The passenger side is manual. The missing end of the wiring harness I need is on the passenger side for that seat to plug into.

Thanks

CPhil

#12 ·
Hey guys,
I just started having this issue with the Service Air Bag message showing up in the DIC and the airbag warning light under the speedometer is on. The passenger airbag light (the one in the center of the roof) turns off and on based on weight in the seat as it should, which suggests the driver airbag would be the problem. My cruise control works so I don't think the problem would be the clock spring connection mentioned earlier in the thread. It was cold over the weekend and I noticed a crack in my dash where passenger airbag deploys from; however, as I said, the passenger airbag light functions normally. I checked for DTC's and there were none. Thanks in advance for your help.

#15 ·
Not sure about the nbs trucks, but the nnbs trucks had sensors under the front bumper that would get water in them and corrode causing a light. Pretty apparent when you pull them out, the bad one will be bulged and look awful. It may be worth the money to have a shop pull the code. That would point you in the right direction.

#18 ·
I had issue with right front seat belt retractor/pretensioner code B0022. Told it may be wiring to seat. Checked and nada. Got tired of light so for fun I did up seat belt with nobody in it. I yanked hard on the seat belt a few times to lock it and light has been out since. It's been 3 weeks now. For you, get it scanned to find out for sure what it is.

2013 Silverado CC 1500 Z71 5.3 4WD

#19 ·
I have a similar issue with my 06 2500 WT. The light and warning are on all the time EXCEPT when the temperature is under 20 degrees. Then it's off and behaves as it should! I just wonder how big a deal it is. I wonder if the system will function when the light is on.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.