Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

windshield noise at freeway speeds?

56K views 66 replies 40 participants last post by  Andrucl8n 
#1 ·
I seem to have a very noticable noise from rt front of windshield while going freeway speeds.It seems to be worse on very windy days.Sounds similar to large raindrops hitting continually.Never seems to happen at lower speeds.Any help would be greatly appreciated,as I know taking it to dealer I won't be able to get sound as it seems to be intermittant.

#2 ·
Do you have one of those bug shields on the front of the hood? Try removing it to see if the noise goes away. Those shields alter the way the wind goes over the vehicle and can cause strange noises.

#4 ·
I would doubt that your windshield is actually making the noise. Especially if it is intermittant. I had a STI that made a howling noise at 140+, dealer wouldn't fix it bc they said I shouldn't drive over the speed limit. It ended up being the passenger side mirror, it wasn't flush to the body panel. Look for something like that outside the truck, maybe weather stripping coming loose etc. Unless you are actually getting a draft from the windshield....

#5 ·
I too am hearing something intermittent from the right front - and also have a bug shield on my 2009 Sierra extended cab. It sounds like weatherstripping or something soft flapping, so I doubt if its the bug shield; the noise is not very noticeable, but I tend to listen for anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes the rear 1/2 doors can be closed without fully latching at the top - when I heard that wind noise, I stopped to investigate. That was much more distinctly the noise of wind whistling through the weatherstripping.

I will take a look at the passenger side mirror also (thanks, CannibalCow).

#7 ·
I have a 2010 Silverado extended cab. I just noticed a similar noise last night while driving on the highway. It sounded like static comping from the front passenger speaker. I was perplexed when I killed the power to the radio and the sound did not stop! I have only had the truck for just over a month and I dont drive on the highway very often. This is the first time i noticed the sound, this was also the first highway drive after installing a bug guard.
I am glad others are having similar problems, I was freaking out because this is a brand new truck! Ill investigate and see if I can come up with a solution.

#8 ·
I finally had a chance to investigate the source of the noise tonight. Of course, it's a little difficult to drive and hang my head out of the passenger door at the same time! :shock: :lol:

So I did the next best thing - investigated while parked in the driveway! There are a couple of soft foam insulators in the door hinge area at the back of the front fender. They look like they snug up against the plastic fender liner. I still think that is the cause - they are not glued down all around, and look like they could flap if air got in there - they are certainly big enough and soft enough to cause that noise. How to test? I've been driving on the highway and haven't heard it recently. Maybe I'll try taping it down and see if that stops it.

Now if I only had a mini spy-cam I could mount in there, THAT would seal the deal!

#9 ·
After a few more highway trips I was able to determine that the source of my noise issue is in fact my new bug guard. It only is a problem at speeds over 75 and when there is more than a mild wind. I've inspected the front of my truck and there doesn't seem to be any issues with scratching or paint damage. So, I have decided to keep the guard on because, quite frankly, it looks so good on my truck! I can deal with a little road noise on the rare occasion that I drive on the highway under the problem causing conditions.

#10 ·
I have a 2010 Silverado and had the same problem. It's an easy fix and cost around $6. It took about 10 minutes for the fix.

You'll need the following; 3M super strength, double sided, molding tape, a torx driver, and a razor blade.

The problem is caused by the plastic molding on either side of the windshield. The molding is held on at the sides with torx screws that are under the door molding. Nothing fastens it to the windshield and it rattles.

Loosen the screws for the molding about half way, no need to take them out all the way. Clean the window and the molding with alcohol or something that does not leave a residue. Apply the tape to the windshield first along the edge. Apply firm pressure to the entire length. Remove the other side of the plastic from the tape, and then press the windshield molding firmly onto it. Tighten the screws of the molding. Use the razor blade to cut any excess coming out from under the molding.

Problem solved no more noise.

#11 ·
Thanks for an excellent write up on the cause and remedy. I was on the highway again this weekend, and that noise sure is annoying me. I want to get it done before winter!

#12 ·
MagnumTRex said:
I have a 2010 Silverado and had the same problem. It's an easy fix and cost around $6. It took about 10 minutes for the fix.

You'll need the following; 3M super strength, double sided, molding tape, a torx driver, and a razor blade.

The problem is caused by the plastic molding on either side of the windshield. The molding is held on at the sides with torx screws that are under the door molding. Nothing fastens it to the windshield and it rattles.

Loosen the screws for the molding about half way, no need to take them out all the way. Clean the window and the molding with alcohol or something that does not leave a residue. Apply the tape to the windshield first along the edge. Apply firm pressure to the entire length. Remove the other side of the plastic from the tape, and then press the windshield molding firmly onto it. Tighten the screws of the molding. Use the razor blade to cut any excess coming out from under the molding.

Problem solved no more noise.
Is that the same on older models? I just assumed it was the bug guard. But you know what they say about those who assume...

#13 ·
To Big10silverado5.3,
In regards to your static noises coming from your right front speaker- I have the same static from the right rear speaker in my '98 ext. cab. Finally figured out it is caused by my wife's cell phone. No noise when the phone is left out of the truck. When the phone is in the truck, and not even being used, I get the static. Doesn't happen with my cell phone, though. Go figure. I try to leave the wife and the cell phone home as much as possible. :lol:

#14 ·
Regarding the question on the older models, I had 2004 Silverado that had the same noise but not nearly as pronounced so I never looked into it. I had AVS, low provile, bug deflectors on that one and also on the 2010. The noise would be hard to confuse with static, it really sounds like something hitting the window. Most commonly it came from the passenger side in the upper corner of the windshield but would occasionally also come from the driver's side upper corner. By the way, both trucks were extended cab 4X4, not sure if that makes a differnce.

The good news is, it's a very simple and inexpensive fix. It doesn't change the appearance of the vehicle in any way, you don't even need to get rid of the bug deflector. And the fix completely solves the issue.

#15 ·
I just did the fix - used non-hardening body putty (I had it on hand) to put under the windshield trim. No more flapping noise. Thanks to MagnumTRex for identifying the source of the noise.

#19 ·
swervin36 said:
Has anyone taken their truck back to the dealer for this? Just interested in hearing what they have to say about it.
I haven't been back to the dealer for it. It was such a quick, easy, and inexpensive fix that it wasn't worth the time and effort of going to the dealer for me. I've now had the fix in place for several weeks and have been through a wide range of weather, temperature and road conditions and no signs of the noise coming back.

#25 ·
I have 2 02 Sierras . They both make the same noises . It sounds like driving through a hail storm . Even with the bugsheild removed . I even taped up all body seems . Still to this date the noise remains . I have tried many ideas with no cure . A couple of dealers have told me that it is the flap over the hood hinge . But the noise remains even with the flaps removed .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.