Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

How to fix rust

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  N8dawg 
#1 ·
My truck has rust around it. How difficult is it to repair it myself? I am on a budget and want to know what to use. I figure I have $250 to spend to fix it up appearance wise. I use it mainly for winter but want it to look decent without the rust. Are there any good tutorials on how to fix rust? Also please provide me a list of what I should buy or what you recommend. Also any good techniques that I should follow?

#10 ·
$250 won't cut it man. Just spent 450 fixing the rocker panels at my local body man. He cut it out and put fiberglass in there, then painted it with some bedliner, since it's a black truck. For what your describing, $1,000 is a good estimate for what you want, for someone doing it the right way.

#12 ·
I was quoted about $450 to fix some bubbling on my rear fenders and buff out some scratches on my doors.

The bubbles have gotten a little worse now so I'd estimate I'd be in at over $600 now for both sides.

I would personally try and find a rust free bed. I see ones on Craigslist for cheaper (sometimes) than it would be to fix the rust

Of course you might have to add paint to that if it's not the same color.

#14 ·
There is some gel you can buy to slow down the rust. If it's bad enough to chunk off, then panel replacement is in order.

You could buy some POR15- (paint over rust). This will encapsulate the rust to keep it from spreading. No guarantee it wont rust from inside from your description. Good luck...maybe a pic would help?

#16 ·
It dries and you need to paint over it. And once you open the can, you need to use what you have because once it's exposed to air it starts doing it's magic. And wear gloves!!! the stuff will stay on your hand for weeks! Actually it says you can refrigerate unused portions...

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Technical-I ... ep_62.html

#19 ·
If it's bad enough to break off then panel replacements will most likely be the best option. Some areas like the rocker panels they sell pieces you can cut out and weld in. These trucks are notorious for rusting out, I have two small spots that just showed up this summer but compared to most the 99-06 I see around its nothing. The sooner you get it fixed the less you will be out, once it starts it spreads rapidly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.