Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Factory fog light upgrade questions

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Rottie 
#1 ·
Well I put a nice big scuff on my passenger side bumper cap last night, so I thought I might as well do the factory fog light upgrade. I found the kit on gmpartsdirect.com but I was wondering if this kit was plug and play, or do I have to splice into the harnesses? Also I did a little searching and I found some before and after pics but is there a how-to on this subject somewhere? Someone told me the bumper caps are not the easiest pieces to replace...

#2 ·
The fog light kit is plug and play, no splicing. As far as the bumper cap, I don't know. There are a lot of folks here who know these trucks very well. I'm sure they'll chime in and answer your question about the bumper cap.

#3 ·
Factory Fog Light Install Photos

I did mine here are my pics. It is plug and play but you do need to get down into the main fuse box under the hood.. Its worth it

#4 ·
Thanks twday87. I saw your pics in that link before and that's what made me think about doing it to mine. Do you remember how hard it was to take everything apart and get it back together? What was there to do in the main fuse box? This is a project i'll have to do in the evenings after work and I just don't want my truck to be down for too long...

#5 ·
honestly its not hard at all if you follow the directions. the most frustrating thing is getting the grill off with those dumb clips! and the fuse box just has a lot goign on but follow directions and you've got it man. it took a few hours though. id save an afternoon for it

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think i'll probably do it next weekend and knock out the leveling kit at the same time. Sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday :D

#7 ·
I dont know if it would be cheaper to somewhat piece a kit together but I have a set of the factory fog light housings and bulbs if you would like to piece it together (buy the fogs from me and the wiring harness/bumper pieces through a company). Just an idea if you would like it.

#8 ·
That's a good suggestion. I thought about that a little before and I found that I can get the bumper ends pretty cheap but then I would have to pay to get them painted.. It would be nice to be able to pull them out of a box all painted and ready to go and bolt them on. The kit at gmpartsdirect.com has them in my color. I could even do the wiring at a later time if I wanted to.

#10 ·
So I went to gmpartsdirect.com to put in my order for the fog light kit and a DIC switch and the quote for shipping came to $91 :shock: I went to the dealership and the total price was $60 more, but I can't justify paying close to $100 to ship these things... Do you guys know of a better place to get this stuff??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.