Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steering stabilizer?

19K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  RedSLEd 
#1 ·
Will a steering stabilizer help chopping on really rough roads?

My 2012 2500HD didn't come with one, and I noticed on rough dirt roads, there is considerable feedback in the steering. They are cheap enough, worth a try?

#2 ·
NOTE: The 2011-2012 model GM HD trucks tend to exhibit far greater bump steer than 2010 and older models. Whether stock, lifted or leveled, the bump steer can be noticable on the 2011 trucks. GM recognized there is a design issue with the steering system on the 2011-2012 HD trucks and have since released General Motors part # 25888044 Steering Stabilizer/Absorber to correct the problem. Our testing has revealed this factory steering stabilizer does in fact greatly improve the steering feel and performance on the 2011-2012 HD trucks. If your truck is stock, lifted or leveled and you experience any uncomfortable bump steer we highly recommend purchasing the factory steering stabilizer to greatly reduce the problem.

#3 ·
i was wanting to get one for my truck but did not know how hard they are to install?

#8 ·
Make sure that your stock Center Link is pre drilled to accept a stabilizer. My 2000 Silerado 2500 did not come with a stabilizer, nor did it have a pre drilled Center Link, the cost to replace the Center Link with a pre drilled is, on average, $230-260. I was going to drill out the stamped flat spot, where the hole was supposed to be, with a 7 degree ball joint/tie rod reamer, but was informed that because the Center Link is "case hardened', drilling it would create micro cracks that would weaken it significantly, dont want it coming loose while towing a trailer or something at highway speeds.

#9 ·
i just checked my truck and the center link does have a hole so i will be ordering one soon

#10 ·
i looked at skyjackers website they have 4 listed??????? # 9000,9011,9202,9211 it does say that the 9211 is a dual kit but what is the difference with the other ones?

#11 ·
I will need to check mine to see if its drilled...I only noted there wasn't one installed, didn't look that close.

I have noticed there are different lengths, but typically when you narrow it down; there are only two: one is an OE replacement, the other is an OE replacement with hardware. Rancho had pretty good customer service at one point, might be worth a call?

#14 ·
Steering dampers, or stabilizers, are a must for today's high-powered vehicles,
Inspect the steering damper visually for any signs of leakage or damage, Adjust the steering damper to its firmest setting and turn steering side to side, Check the steering damper mounting bracket's alignment , i think this might help you in solving the problem.

#15 ·
Well, I inspected my truck...not only is the drag link drilled, but the frame bracket is there as well, just no shock??

I looked at the GM part listed above, its around $130 list, and can be had for about $80 online. There is some debate (older threads) about the damper, its need, and results. One post indicated a 2010 damper causes a dead spot in the steering of the 2011+ trucks, the reason for this particular 2011+ part. I'm probably going to order it this weekend, see what happens.

#19 ·
Well, received and installed this stabilizer Saturday. It has the GM part number stamped on it, but is stamped "Monroe", not "GM". Note to anyone buying it, they do not come with any hardware, nothing...no nut for the stud, no bolt for the eyelet end (you will need a 1/2 inch bolt about 3 inches long, a locking 1/2 inch nut, and a 12MM coarse locking nut.

Took no time to install, the difference is amazing...took a lot of "rattle" out when hitting bumps on the highway, definitely took a lot of the steering feed back feel out on the rough back roads...it did not hinder steering stops, so it is the correct shock length. I was hoping it would help the rough road feedback, but the highway difference was something I was not expecting.

I am very pleased with the results and sort of disappointed GM would think this was not a necessary part?

#25 ·
@Ron Brannon That's cool. But.. FYI... this thread was dormant for 11 years before your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.