Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

OEM Shocks with Z71?

44K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  kemo 
#1 ·
What brand are the 2009 OEM shocks if the Z71 package was selected? I have the Z71 suspension system, but the shocks are just plain black with no brand name that I can see. I have read that, at least on the newer trucks with Z71 the shocks are Rancho's. But I always thought that Rancho's are white with a red neoprene boot. Any help would be appreciated.
TIA.
Glen

#5 ·
Z71 option use Tenneco except for the GMC All Terrain and Chevy w/Z71 Appearance pkg have Rancho.

Rancho are hard core, make a 1500 ride like a 2500. I got them on my All Terrain and man are they stiff.

btw - last year for bilstein was 1998

#6 ·
I have the Rancho's on my All Terrain package. They are stiff. The truck actually rides better when I am towing my boat. That said, I knew I was not buying a limo, so I really like it.

#7 ·
Just this weekend while visiting some family I cruised across a harvested corn field at about 40 mph, sounds like the Z71 package with normal shocks made it such a smooth ride for me, I was actually impressed how well it soaked up the bumps considering I was going across the rows. Good to know! Any idea why the Rancho's are stiffer?

#8 ·
Here I go digging up an old topic again . . .

But I have a 2011 Sierra extra cab with the Z71 RPO code. Curiosity got the better of me over the weekend and I went poking around under the truck. And have now managed to confuse myself quite a bit; hopefully someone can shed some light on things for me. The truck is still new enough that the AC Delco stickers on the rear shocks are easily readable. Here's what they say:

AAR5
OE15439

What's making me nutty is I can't find that part number anywhere - not even a cross-reference number (in case they've been replaced by a new number.) Anyone have any info on these?

#10 ·
Call the dealer, I'm sure the part # ha been replaced. I work at a Mack/Volvo dealership and it seems like every other time I go to get parts they change numbers 2 or 3 times. I'm sure GM does this regular also.

#11 ·
The number used for production parts is very often not the same number used for service parts.

Note - Rancho shocks are all white in color

#13 ·
Bilstiens are yellow, red is Monroe or Teneco. Tenneco owns the Monroe and Rancho shock brands and they got the GM contract starting in 1999 nbs.

I replace shocks on my 1992 SWB Silverado some years back. One of my local retails accounts is also an AC Delco Dealer/Service Center and he got me OEM AC Delco. We opened the box and I saw the Tenneco name stamped into the shock. They make oem/GM/AC Delco parts under the Tennco name and other over the counter replacement parts under the Monroe name it would seem.

#14 ·
Mudduck said:
Mine are black and red, which I understood to be Bilstein's.
The Bilstein shocks that used to be used were Blue upper, Yellow lower. They are no longer used on these trucks. You have Tenneco shocks on your truck.

FYI : Tenneco = Monroe and Rancho.............both are Tenneco brands.

#16 ·
Interesting info so far. So let me play Devil's advocate a little bit. Down the road (sorry for the bad pun) when I do need to replace the shocks/struts across the board, what would be a OEM Z71 equivalent from Tenneco or Bilstein? Today anyway - expecting things will change a bit over the next few years and my Magic 8 Ball isn't that great.

#17 ·
OEM replacement would be Tenneco, Monroe, or Rancho whatever one you want to replace them with.........Going Bilstein is taking a huge step up, much better quality shocks. When my Rancho shocks are shot, I will be getting Bilstein 5100's.

#18 ·
I rode in a truck that had the stock black shocks replaced by Monroe Reflex and it was very nice a stable. The rear did not hop around like mine does on rough roads. My shocks are still good and do not need to be replaced but will be in the future with the Monroe Reflex. We cruised down a gravel road and I did not notice any sort of shock fade, smooth as could be. Just adding my opinion. I had Bilstiens on my Z-R2 and never was really impressed. The Bilstien 5100's are well reviewed and if I spent more time off-road with this truck I would be more inclined to go that route.

#20 ·
No you get skid plates and a cool Sticker, Like me.

#21 ·
So are there two options? Z71 Appearance package....sticker and skid plates.....and the actual Z71 off road package which includes aforementioned sticker and skid plates and improved shocks and......what else?

going through build your own, i cant even find either of those packages. the only mention of z71 in the "build your own" is of a chrome decal....I guess its moot because i love my truck but just im just confused.

*EDIT
I think i figured it out. Z71 Off Road Suspension is the basic package with sticker, skid plate

Z71 Appearance Package has the above plus color matched grill etc as well as the improved shocks. Youre mostly paying for the colored grill/bumper.

When i read "appearance package" i thought it meant that it just "appears" to have z71 offroad suspension, haha. Sorry for the tangent/off topic questions.

#22 ·
The newest incarnation of the Z71 includes skid plates, upgraded shocks all around, an upgraded front sway bar (probably better end links as well), upgraded bump stops, and for some reason - a high capacity air cleaner. That's just about it, because that's just about all you can upgrade on the suspension without getting real intense and turning it into a 3/4 ton.

#23 ·
From the Silverado Brochure:

"Z71 Off-Road Package: Skid Plate Package; off-road jounce
bumpers, shock absorbers and stabilizer bars; high-capacity
air cleaner; and Z71 decals"

Z71 Appearance Package: 18" aluminum wheels; foglamps;
body-color outside mirrors and door handles; unique Z71 decals,
instrument cluster graphics, body-color front bumper and lower
fascia, body-color grille with chrome insert and sill plates;
Rancho shocks; and chrome recovery hooks (Standard Box only)

I hope this settles the question once and for all :mrgreen:

Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.