Time: Hour or less
    Special Tools: No

Things You'll Need:
  • 10mm Wrench
    Flat-head Screwdriver
    Red Loctite
    Dremel Tool w/ Plastic Cutting Disc
    Wet Rag

Goal: To install cargo tie-downs in the truck bed, in predrilled holes, previously covered GM plastic concealers and Line-X Bedliner.

Before You Begin: When your truck was bone stock, sitting pretty on the car lot, it most likely did not have a bed liner. Instead, GM covers the pre-drilled holes in the truck bed with plastic covers that simply clip into the holes. (I went to the dealership to get the pictures below)
IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1602.jpg

If you decided to have a Line-X Bedliner (or the like) installed, the shop most likely covered these plastic pieces with the liner to create an even finish.
IMG_1605.jpg

The regular directions do not account for the spray-in bed liner, so additional steps must be taken in order to install the product cleanly.

Step-by-Step Instructions:
Step 1:
Pick up a set of DeeZee Tie-Downs, and unwrap the package. Get an Idea of the size of hole you will be drilling, based on the width of the "feet" on the anchor (the one that is standing up in the picture)
IMG_1609.JPG

Step 2: Unfortunately, the plastic cover installed by GM is wider than the edges of the tie-down, so simply cutting around the cover and popping the whole ting out is out of the question. You must remove only the plastic covering the hole in the metal, without cutting out the overlapping edge. Using a Dremel Tool with a cutting wheel (or a drill and sandpaper), begin cutting through the bedliner and plastic.
IMG_1606.jpg

Step 3: Begin widening the hole uniformly until you begin to see metal. It is also useful to remove debris periodically along the way with your finger and/or a wet rag to ensure a smooth and even cut.
IMG_1625.jpg

Step 4: Test the fitment of the hook. Make sure that you see metal all the way around the hole. Do not cut more liner than you have to.

Step 5: Once the holes are finished, remove the backing on the foam pieces, and stick them to the tie-downs. These will help to keep dirt from getting into the holes.
IMG_1621.jpg

Step 6: Stick the bolt through the hole in the anchor, and begin threading the back plate. Keep the back plate horizontal.
IMG_1622.jpg

Step 7: Place the assembly into the hole that you cut. Then, rotate the bolt 90* and pull the bolt toward you, so that the back plate fits snuggly into the "feet" of the anchor. The trick is to use the screwdriver the keep the bolt pulled out (providing pressure and keeping the back plate in place) while tightening the bolt with your 10mm wrench.
IMG_1624.jpg

Step 8: After a few turns, the back plate will stay in place vertically, allowing you to tighten the bolt the rest of the way.
IMG_1618.jpg

Congratulations, you have successfully installed strong and convenient tie-downs in the bed of your pickup truck.

Evaluation: Overall, I am very satisfied with the DeeZee Tie-Downs. I searched all around town and online to find the most "stock looking" accessory to install on my truck. I knew that I wanted something in the bed, not in the stake-holds on top of the rails. These anchors are very solid, look almost identical to the stock anchors, and will be able to handle anything that I will be hauling in the back of my truck. The rough black finish also blends well with the Line-X bed liner.

Conclusion: The product is great! I always hated climbing under my tool box to hook cargo straps, or having to remember to hook a strap before I filled the bed up. These are in an easily accessible location and will do exactly what I need them to do. I may even install another pair in the top back corners!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 Ā·
I guess you could etch out more plastic if you wanted to. You would need a very steady hand to make it look good. The only problem with removing the entire thing, is that the plastic is slightly wider and taller than the entire anchor. My thought was that removing the entire ring would leave an oval of "unlinered" metal around the anchor, that would be unsightly, and maybe lead to rust.

The hole that I cut only removed the plastic not backed by metal. The remaining plastic is backed by metal and provides the strength and rigidity needed to support the anchor. Only the "feet" of the anchor go through the factory hole, so the anchor will not fall through, regardless of how much plastic you remove. Then, when stress is applied to the anchor (when it is being used), the force is exerted on the back side of the metal by the back plate, so I do not think that leaving the plastic would compromise the strength of the truck or anchor system.

The most ideal situation would be to install these before you get Line-X done, but since my bedliner was installed 5 years ago, this was the cleanest way to install.

#5 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
Oh yeah, without a bedliner, install would be very easy. 5 minutes tops.
Pop out plastic and follow the directions on the back of the package!
IMG_1628.jpg

Attachments

#7 Ā·
That would be the best order of doing things! Haha.
I would highly suggest doing that.

#10 Ā·
I did a Herculiner on my truck bed. So, the holes were open when I finished. I popped the covers back in when I was done. However, I too would really like to have those filled with Tie Downs, mostly for real use than looks. The Deezee look good but when I search for them online, all the sites say they are for 2007-2012 trucks. Mine is a 2013. I am assuming it is the same with many parts outlets on line that simply don't have the lists updated for 2013 yet...It is only half way through the year is all and nearly all the way through the manufacturing year so why would it be expected that it be updated already...Sheeesssshhh!
So, could I expect a set or three of these (DeeZee Part#DZ97903) to fit in my truck bed (2013 Silverado LT Ext cab with reg box)?
Where is the best price out there?
Thanks

#11 Ā·
a lot of people have just never updated their fitment guide. Here is a pic of my 2013 x cab with them in the front bed wall. Ive also got them in the other two spots on the side. I just had to move them from the front corners for the tonneau to mount. Even with the line-x they fit back in fine, a little more tight, and they had to be wiggled in, but fit great.

#12 Ā·
I wish I could afford a cover. Maybe down the road. I have towing mirrors and floor mats on the way now. I will probably order 2-3 pair of Deezee tie downs soon as well.
Thanks.

#13 Ā·
Sorry to wake this from the dead, but if I would take out those plastic things before I get the bed sprayed in Line-X, would it be possible to mount the tie downs after they were sprayed?

The reason I'm asking is because I kind of just had this idea on the weekend and no place around me could have them in before today, and my appointment is at 1pm this afternoon. I figure it shouldn't be a problem if I just take out the plastic pieces and then add the tie down hooks after?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.