Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MPG and cold weather

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Z15 
#1 ·
It may be just me but it seems that my truck is loosing 1-2 mpg's since the weather started getting cold. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

#6 ·
If you've dropped only 1-2 mpg's, I'll trade you trucks!!! I've dropped about 4. Right now I'm averaging 12.5 - 13 mpg at most and that is extreme conservative driving. I'm trying not to run 4-wheel drive much either unless absolutely necessary. Even with the icy roads, 4-wheel drive is not going to help. Good Luck and be safe out there!

#8 ·
I've been running in auto 4WD most of the time. We have so much black ice around, it's hard to know when I am going to start sliding. That, the extreme cold, the winter fuel, I am getting about 15MPG right now, which is a loss of 3.5.

#9 ·
I talked to my grandfather that used to haul and fill tanks for marathon oil company and he said the winterblend is a wivestale. Now for deisel there is a winter addative to keep it from gelling but for normal gasoline there is no winterblend. As for getting less milage I could see like others have said about running 4x4 and wheel spin. Plus taking longer to warm up and fighting to stay warm. I have noticed my oil psi even at operating temp is still running a lil higher by 4-8 psi.

#11 ·
In MN we do have a winter blended fuel. It's called ethanol. It's a required 10% blend in winter, added as an oxygenate. Some stations run it all year, but but not all. I blame that on part of the MPG decrease. MN used to use MTBE (Methyl tertiary butyl ester) as an oxygenate, but quit using it due to environmental and health concerns, along with pressure from the ethanol/corn lobby.

Side note about MTBE from wikipedia: MTBE is a gasoline additive, used as an oxygenate and to raise the octane number, although its use has declined in the United States in response to environmental and health concerns. It has been found to easily pollute large quantities of groundwater when gasoline with MTBE is spilled or leaked at gas stations.

#13 ·
Without getting too far off topic....
Each state is allowed to set their own standards and requirements for fuel. California is typically the most stringent. For major oil companies, having to track and produce gas to the requirements of 50 unique states adds cost. If we could get to a national fuel requirement -- or even regional, gas would certainly cost less.

#16 ·
markhoh3 said:
In the summer gas expands, notice your plastic gas can. In the winter it doesnt, it contracts and burns more, thus more consumption.
Hi, markhoh3,
I see where you could be coming from on this, but I don't think this is accurate. My Physics knowledge is not what it used to be, but there is a flaw in your theory. Just because the fuel is more dense, does not mean there would be more consumption...at least I do not think so.
I think it ties into what lzn197 is referring to, with regard to relative vapor pressures. This might be a fun discussion in our off-topic forum.
More on subject, I think the additional parasitic drag from all of the extra electrical, along with the colder fluids combined with the fuel types is what causes the mileage drop.

#17 ·
I agree. I used to live in Alaska. I remember having my rear diff freeze... heck even just checking the power steering fluid looked like paste glue on a stick until my truck had been running for a long time. lol

If living in a cold region... switching to synthetics has a huge plus because the synthetic oil is runnier in colder temps(each type is different). Less resistance= better fuel economy. Friction differences aside.

I also suspect that the air going into your engine is dramatically denser in winter... so your engine has to accomidate by adding more fuel. Also, maybe the fuel probably does not atomize/blend as well in the cold?

#18 ·
It does little good to worry about things we cannot control.

Fuel economy is becoming more important with each passing year. Gas and diesel prices keep rising, putting a major strain on people and businesses that rely on vehicles and heavy equipment in their daily operations. AMSOIL synthetic lubricants improve fuel economy by allowing moving parts to move more freely, using less energy and creating less friction than when conventional lubricants are used.

Some ways you can help improve the fuel efficiency of your vehicles are detailed here.

AMSOIL Top Shelf Lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.