Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Weird Ticking on start up

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ASTE25 
#1 ·
Noticing a ticking on my start ups,but i after it runs for maybe 5 to 10 mins its gone and it only happens upon an initial start up if i haven't started the truck for maybe more than 2 hours apart. I have noticed some stuff going on with my oil pressure so i had the dealer check due to its on my warranty. The reported Idle was 25IBS at 1000 RMPS spec is 6 LBS. 39 LBS at 2000 RPMs minimum is 18LBS. The truck is an 04 Sierra 2500HD with a 6.0L with 76,000 miles bought the truck with 70,000 miles including a warranty that covers just about everything major. Also had an exhaust manifold gasket leaking but my dealership fixed the issue, The replaced the exhaust manifold bolt, gasket and extracted the broken manifold bolt. I will try and get a video of the sound tomorrow posted. any thoughts or advice would be a major help.

#4 ·
Na its not new it's an 04, if it is something i hope my warranty covers it. Plus i read around this blog and others some say its normal so say it isn't but i don't know if this ticking is the same as others along with what do you expect when GM doesn't make engines like they used to. my old mans truck is a 79 custom deluxe dually, thing has worked its whole life hauling logs and still strong as day one.

#8 ·
It sounds like they didn't fix your manifold leak problem. If it's like mine there could be another broken bolt up against the firewall that they couldn't easily get to. Or... perhaps if you take it back and have them check the tightness of the bolts it would help. I've heard that after a repair like that due to expansion and contraction the bolts "sometimes" need to be rechecked.

#9 ·
well its back in the shop, brought it up to the dealer today see what they can do this time around, if it doesn't work this time and they don't satisfy me i think i might go into the show room on a big sale day and start yelling how bad they suck at service JK. Plus a 4 wheel drive icon came on the Drivers information center but went away when i restarted my truck, the last thing i need is for that to go out in the middle of the winter when plowing.

#10 ·
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra K1500 with the 4.8L Vortec and mine does the same thing. I thought maybe it was a bad lifter. I talked to my local mechanic about this last time it was in the shop. He told me it's normal, his newer Chevy truck with the 6.0L Vortec does the same thing. According to him it has to to with the piston rings seating on cold starts. He said it's nothing to worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.