Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Coolant Leak

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Machster69 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, i've never thought to ask you guys this but has anyone else had a problem with their coolant tank leaking with the 2003 model of the Silverado? I've had mine looked at by our family mechanic and he can't find anything wrong with it but I swear I am filling that thing every two weeks or so and i'm not even blasting the air. If you've had a similar problem or just know a solution let me know please! Thanks for looking!

#2 ·
It may not be the coolant tank that is leaking. have the cooling system pressure checked for leaks. It could be anything from a hose that is leaking slightly to a head gasket that is leaking. Water pumps are a pretty common cause for coolant leaks as well.

#8 ·
benz604 said:
im havin the same issue with my 03 sierra 6l i have to top up like every two weeks but its not leaking anywere, almost starting to think this new dexcool just evaporates or something lol
haha its a closed system! You know better! Water pump is typical... But a pressure test can show the beast. But it sometimes can pass pressure test... Of it does! You can dye the coolant and on next oil change make damn sure there is no dye in the oil! And yes, the cap is common also ;)

#9 ·
wow this is an old post lol i found my leak a long time ago, it was the thermostat housing oring that failed and was trickling behind the waterpump and basically drying up before it got to the bottom of the engine, i stumbled on the staining when i changed my ac tensioner, i took a thermostat gasket i had left over from a 350 rebuild kit i had laying around and cut it to size, it was actually really close in size to begin with and ditched the oring.....im still in disbeleif that gm designed the housing that way with the thermostat built into it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.