Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Throttle Body Spacer/Air Intake Worth It?

27K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Tuner Boost 
#1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals....I have a 2011 5.3L Crew Cab Z71/4x4 and I was wondering how much a throttle body spacer would help on gas mileage? I have already have installed the K&N AirCharger and I can tell a big difference in engine response, no lagging like before the install, but I'm just wanting to improve my gas mileage more than anything....I was able to purchase the K&N AirCharger brand new really cheap for $120 bucks which I thought was a steal :D ....So now I want to add a throttle body spacer to improve my overall engine/mileage performance even more! Would the price be worth the gain is what I'm asking....I see some for like $40-$50 bucks and then some up to $100 bucks plus....do any work better than others?
If any of you have done this to a 2009-2011 5.3L let me know what brand you bought and used and let me know the true improvements in gas mileage if any at all. Thanks!! Gatorman

#3 ·
i had one, its made a cool little whistle noise... that was about it, there a waste of money. no change in mpg or power

#4 ·
+1

It sounds like a turbo, but doesn't do jack squat. The CAI will help with the engine performance, but usually doesn't allow for any more MPG. It's plausible to squeeze a few more MPG out of these trucks, but by the time you've spend all your money on gas-saving mods, it's really pointless, since you're trying to save money in the first place.

A tuner might be your most cost-efficient route, though.

#6 ·
ive heard that too but from what ive gathered you should take it to a well respected exhaust shop and have them fabricate one up for you in order to see a good mpg increase. with the 5.3 ive been told 2-3mpg on the freeway is possible with the right exhaust

#7 ·
ratpower396 said:
I have heard that the exhaust will give a minimal increase in mpg but not sure if true or not..
True. I gained about 2 MPG on my last truck by doing that. It was a cat-back system by Flowmaster.

#9 ·
I've put the tbi spacer on my 94 Z71 350 and so no difference, The exhaust helped some but the awesome exhaust note made my right foot alot heavier!!!! I am currently interested in computer chip but not sure if on a truck the age of mine it will help. Ive also run with the tailgate off on one tank of gas on all highway runs to florida and saw no difference in fuel economy. The best tried and true way to increase your fuel economy is to have all tire pressures correct for the tires and change your driving style. Slow starts, cruise control, and easy on the gas will help

#10 ·
I wouldn't waste my money. My understanding is that these create a vortex in the engine. Once the air is past the spacer the vortex probably disappears. Also if you have a vortec engine they produce the vortex inside the combustion chamber making it more effective than a spacer. But this is just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.