Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Magic Gini 
#1 ·
Hey guys i know there are a ton of these threads but none of them really have what I'm looking for or I find conflicting answers!

So basically what I want is a muffler that will have a great sound, turn heads, set off an alarm or two, but not be so loud it annoys the hell out of you driving down the highway. I LOVE the super deep throaty sound opposed to the screaming sounds on a lot of mufflers.

So long story short I'm looking for a muffler that has a nice deep, throaty (somewhat loud) sound on the outside, but doesn't have TOO much interior.

I hate the racy sound, its gotta be deep and throaty. I don't know if i can get the sound I want without cat-back but thats what I'm hoping for (I got a budget here :p)

p.s. This is my truck, the sounds gotta match the look! :mrgreen:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I've seen a lot of these, the problem is that you can never really tell in a video, and they don't have interior sounds or anything. I've seen like 3 different people all have the same muffler and each video sounds completely different haha

#5 ·
I have a short Magnaflow now. It's a great sound outside, but it is very heavy on the interior drone. It's also about to be replaced because of the drone. After 7 years, I can't take it anymore, and my wife hates being in the truck as well.

I've heard great things about the Magnaflow 18 and 22 mufflers. I had my exhaust guy show me a setup with each system on a fairly similar truck, and it was a pretty good sound. Neither sounded bad, I just want something different, and am leaning towards a Corsa system for my truck.

#7 ·
Ive worked with both blowmaster and magnablow...they both rot out fairly quick if you ever see any kind of weather..

I am more of a fan of flowmaster than i am of magnaflow. I was in a shop that only did magnaflow and i got so sick of hearing them.(personal experience/personal opinion)

Flow master might gurgle but so doesnt the best wife/ gf...lol

#10 ·
I have a magnaflow on my truck, love the sound, I have heard flowmasters I liked, but most of them just sound too choppy for me. It depends on how throaty you want it i guess, but the other thing is flowmasters put ME to sleep driving, so the magnaflow was the way to go. hope this helps.

#11 ·
red16 said:
You are in Mass.,find a Lou's Custom Exhaust shop in the area.Get one of the SS series mufflers,you will love it,and they do awesome work.
I have had one two years,and many of my friends have them.Sound great,Stainless Steel,last forever.
The place I brought it to for the intial install is a Lou's shop. They are all franchised, and from what I see, with little supervision from the original Lou's. Not saying they do bad work, but I've had my time there and I'm looking for another shop to handle my exhaust needs. My regular mechanic does welding, I just never brought it up to him, but I probably will once I get the new system in my hands. If he can do it the work for a good price, he'll get my business.

#12 ·
I will add this about Magnaflow. Never an issue with the muffler when it comes to rust. It still looks good, albeit 7 years of road sh!t hitting it takes away any shine factor. The rust and patch repairs I had were always on the piping, which was custom from the shop.

#13 ·
I've never had a flowmaster, but i'm very impressed with my magnaflow magnapack (14419) dumped over axle.
it's much louder than my 14" magnaflow (11226) was

#14 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I've narrowed down to Flowmaster Super 40 or either 14"/18" Magnaflow still can't decide though. Flowmaster sounds good but still more gurgle than I'd like, which Magnaflow would be comparable (14" or 18")?

I plan to keep all the piping and cat stock so i think the 18" may be too quiet, but at the same time I'm afraid the 14" will annoy everyone inside driving down the freeway.

I've had mufflers on older vehicles where you can't even have a (normal volumed) conversation while on the freeway or when accelerating, is that how the 14" will be? or even the Super 40 for that matter?

#15 ·
i didnt find the 14" magnaflow loud at all...

#16 ·
I have a flowmaster super 50 on my rig. I find flowmaster to be a bit redneck but the interior sound is pleasant between 1000 to 2000 rpm. You know it's there, but when you hammer it you will definitely know. I get a little resonation and wobble in the sound at 2500 rpm but regardless, it's the best thing I've done on my truck so far.

#18 ·
Rbilco83 said:
i didnt find the 14" magnaflow loud at all...
Neither did I at first. Then I moved to an area where I am driving up hill for a few miles to get to the main roads, and every morning on each hill climb the drone is a killer. It just doesn't go away, and I'm not accelerating hard or fast enough to make it shift up and lose the drone.

Plus on the highway, around 60mph and up, it's just there in the background, a deep tone, not too loud, but annoying after a while.

It's all preference.. I'll be making a video of my Magnaflow outside and inside sometime this weekend, so I can do a before/after when I get the new system installed. I can't promise I'll have it up right away, but I will try so you can get an idea of a shorter Magnaflow...or you could probably find one on Youtube as well. Not exactly what you'll hear in your truck, but a pretty good start.

#19 ·
Yes, not loud enough. But mine was SI/SO (with stock piping) so maybe that's why the one in the video seems louder.

I initially had put a 24" magnaflow on my truck about 3 years ago. Then i had the idea i wanted something a bit louder, so i had a 14" installed and it was actually quiter then my old 24" was. i gave it 6 months or so to maybe "break in" but it never really got any louder.

Here's a vid with the 24" that my buddy took

Now with the magnapack, dumped over the rear axle, the truck is loud. i'm sure it wakes the neighbours when i remote start it in the mornings... as its loud and clear when i'm in the house. Good confirmation it started!

i'll try and get a video soon

#20 ·
Yeah, id love to hear videos of both your guys' exhaust Rbilco83 and ricka182! I love loud, but I've gotten to the point now where the interior is very important cause i take long (hour to 2 hour drives) every week and don't want to be popping advil every 2 hours from the noise lol. I still definitely wanna hear it on the inside driving through town and stuff, just not to the point where I'm annoyed at my own truck haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.