Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best single exhaust

13K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  BIG10Silverado5.3 
#1 ·
Looking for the best (sound and price) single exhaust for the 5.3. I basically just want to swap out mufflers. Looking for throaty and aggressive that won't piss of the neighbors in the middle of the night. My buddy has a Magnaflow on his dodge and it sounds great but a bit too expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks

#2 ·
magnaflow, find the part number, then look for it on amazon.com !

so much cheaper... thats what ive done for my last 2 vehicles, and plan to do the same for my new awesomeness truck lol

#4 ·
Also, what is cheap? Some people think 50 bucks is a lot of money and some think 1200 is a lot. But, I have found a full Magnaflow cat-back for under 500 (Check out banditexhaust.com) and Blastin Bob's (blastinbob.com) has just the muffler and tailpipe, hidden and dual walled chrome tip for 225 for the hidden and a little more for the chrome tip or like Caldwell said, find just the muffler you want and google the part number then click the shopping tab on the search page.

#8 ·
Im in the same situation. i hate my truck sounding like all the minivans in town cause it has a factory muffler. I want to put exhaust but I dont want a drone at 65 mph. and i dont want to void my warranty. truck is a 11'. idk what my options are. btw kbaird27 and big10silverado where in mi do you guys live. i live in sandusky. about an hour east of saginaw on m46

#9 ·
Silverbullit, you will not void you warranty by installing a cat-back, just your cat-back warranty since it does not exist anymore. Now if you threw in aftermarket high flow cats and they clogged damaging your motor, that would void it since your aftermarket part was a direct link to the engine damage. The Magnuson-Moss Act is here to protect us. If you are just looking for a different sound with out the drone you should look into large mufflers like Magnaflow's 22" muffler and Flowmasters BigBlock 70 Series muffler.

#12 ·
Tony, I would pick a new dealership then, everything wrong with the truck will probably end up being your fault. The dealership I bought my 03 SS Silverado incouraged me to bring the truck in when I had work done to it. But I knew that when I put the billet aluminum servo in the trans I voided that and probably everything to the tires warrenty, but knew that my motor was still covered. If you are worried about your warranty and dealer I would just wait until your warrenty expires. Silverbullet, exhausts are personal and in my personal opinion are a personal choice and a learning experience. I always take my time to decide what I am going with.

#13 ·
I asked my dealer when i was signing the papers if a cai and lift kit would void the warranty. on the cai he said it would not void the warranty and for the lift he said the only thing it might void is the ball joints. I didn't ask about the exhaust but im thinking they will also let me do that to it since they are allowing a lift and cai. but i am goin to ask for sure before i purchase it. i also am gonna get a programmer of some sort mainly just to firm up the shift in the trans which Im sure i will end up adjusting other things with the programmer too. im not gonna tell them it has a programmer in it. if the truck ever has to go to the dealer for service i will just clear it out and return it to stock settings before it gets there. and on another note we are all talking about what does void and doesnt void your warranty and sweating bullets over it. but actually how often are we really gonna use the warranty on these 07'-11' silverados? i havent heard any horror stories about them or came across any problems with them. i really dont plan on needing my warranty for it. not saying im just gonna go void it but we cant play "what if" all the time

#16 ·
Silverbullet, that Boarla will sound great. If your dealer is saying that a CAI and lift will only void the parts that the mod affects, it sounds like they are doing their job. And you have the right idea about turning your truck back to stock with the tuner, just something that you might want to be aware of is that the can see when the computer was last written to. One of the ASE Mechs on here can probably tell you if they check that when they get a vehicle in for maintenance.

#19 ·
Definitely go with MBRP single exhaust if you are looking at single exit i have it and love it.. i had super 44 duals and i live the sound of this 100 percent better.. youll def be happy with it

#20 ·
My vote goes for the swept side version of the Gibson cat back system. I've had one on my '98 Sierra for over eight years; it is still solid (it's the aluminized version not the stainless steel model) and sounds as good as the day I installed it. Caveat: I live in the south so my vehicles are not subject to the ravages of road salt.

The sound out the tailpipe is awesome; the sound in the cab is a deep, muted rumble with *no* resonances or boominess. This is an exhaust system you can live with for a long time. And it is a snap to install. It's a quality system made here in the USA by real Americans. It's a little expensive ($400 for the extended cab w/6.5' bed) but you get what you pay for in this case. All Gibson systems use heavy gauge steel tubing for the pipes and mufflers; it is much thicker than stock (and most other cat back systems)and contributes to its longevity and to the quietness in the cab.

On the other hand, my "new" '06 Sierra has a cobbled system using what looks to be a FlowMaster welded into the OEM tailpipe assembly. This thing gives me a headache; it resonates terribly at certain RPM's and at steady highway speeds there is a very obnoxious booming. I've got the new Gibson system ready to install.

You could go the cheaper route just sub-ing the stock muffler but I would use something like a DynoMax Turbo rather than a FlowMaster. The FM's may sound cool from the outside but if they make the cab a miserable place to be because of resonance and booming ....what's the point? And money wasted is expensive regardless.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Any help for a regular cab long bed? Most manufacturers don't make them. I'd prefer the Gibson, but they don't list a rc lb and don't reply to email.
Any suggestions for a system that isn't too loud? I've read some of the other threads and haven't found anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.