Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

How to fix the "steering clunk"

44K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  kilbywill 
#1 ·
Okay, so after several positive reviews and a suggestion to make this a how-to, here's my roughly 3 minute video on how to fix the steering clunk often found in 03-06 GM trucks. As far as I know, this should work in all GM trucks and SUV's from 2003-2006, but I bet it will work on newer as well as older rigs. This fix should last about 10k miles, so I'd recommend doing it every 2nd or 3rd oil change (you've already got the hood up as it is). PM me if you have any questions.

#5 ·
great step video but i had a problem.. i unbolted everything the still the "shaft" wouldn't move. i tried a lot of different things to loosen it to even move slightly but nothing did the job. I'm not really sure what to do about it now.. any tips?

#8 ·
I have read up on this a few times but have thought mine was more suspension related. And it may be as this did not correct the clunk I get. I feel mine more under my left foot, not really in steering wheel... Easy fix for the related issue tho! :D

#9 ·
I recently changed the intermediate shaft. While doing so, I also replaced the plastic caged bearing assembly that sits at the base of the steering column. It's just pressed on and can be removed by hand. I found the original unit with 140k on it allowed a little wobble in the steering column. The part was about $30. Replacing both parts has returned the steering feel and response back to near new condition. Now to get the darn inner tie rods off...

The original shaft had slight play in it, but the plastic caged bearing definitely had far more play in it. Next time you guys want to examine the source of the steering clunk, check that plastic bearing assembly on the end of the column.

#10 ·
I too have been dealing with this dang clunking noise for a while.. that is, until I replaced the ENTIRE steering shaft.

Borg-Warner actually makes a specific steering-shaft that was specifically made to replace the stock/factory units that are responsible for the clunking noise when turning the steering wheel to the left or right while making turns.

I had a local shop, that I trust with my vehicle do mine. That was about 20k miles ago and it indeed took away the clunk noise while turning to the left or right.. however, now I've got a clunk in the same exact area that only happens while just driving in general. I no longer have the clunking noise while turning right or left.. but while going straight down the road, any bumps that I go over.. even very small ones.. when I go over them, there's a medium sounding noise coming from deep within the steering wheel column.

I never have been able to understand the deal with Chevy and their engineering whenever it comes to the steering shafts. I don't like the way their made nor do I care how they feel (steering response/firmness) and so on.

But yeah, I was so happy that I FINALLY got the 'turning right/left steering-shaft clunk noise' fixed.. but now, I've got a new clunk/rattle noise coming from deep within the steering column. It sounds like its coming from fairly deep within the column somewhere. I guess the only thing I can do is call the shop that replaced the steering shaft and ask them if they would charge me to diagnose/check it out, just to see if its related to the shaft that they installed.. which came with a lifetime warranty.. and that warranty includes their work as well. If its not related.. well, then I guess I'll have to dump even MORE money into the steering system.

Chevrolet really needs to get someone who knows what the hell (excuse my language, but this is getting old!) their doing whenever it comes to engineering a good/quality/reliable/dependable steering system.. because whoever came up with the current one, is IMO, politely put, brain dead!

-S.G.

#11 ·
my 04 silverado with 95k had the same noise - searched the forum, found info about recalls, installing new parts, grease fittings, etc. I said, C'mon Man , a Chevy is built like a rock, right !! After seeing this video, did the ol' shaft job & the noise is gone ! Steering is better & I purposely ran over the bumps in the road I had been avoiding ! Chevrolet needs to own up to this problem & issue a legitimate repair bulletin if they want their trucks to be the " longest lasting" trucks on the road. I will do this free lube myself maybe every other oil change, & if it stills needs new parts, then I'll be driving a Tundra, sorry guys; have had bow ties all my life, but at least I found an easy fix, thanks to this forum

#12 ·
bigblockV8 said:
my 04 silverado with 95k had the same noise - searched the forum, found info about recalls, installing new parts, grease fittings, etc. I said, C'mon Man , a Chevy is built like a rock, right !! After seeing this video, did the ol' shaft job & the noise is gone ! Steering is better & I purposely ran over the bumps in the road I had been avoiding ! Chevrolet needs to own up to this problem & issue a legitimate repair bulletin if they want their trucks to be the " longest lasting" trucks on the road. I will do this free lube myself maybe every other oil change, & if it stills needs new parts, then I'll be driving a Tundra, sorry guys; have had bow ties all my life, but at least I found an easy fix, thanks to this forum
Yeah, I've heard about the 'DIY' fix where you drill/tap a hole into the steering shaft and then thread in a lube-nipple so that you can literally lube up the steering shaft.

You know, I'm on your side too btw.. about the whole 'switching truck companies' idea.. because this truck, when I bought it brand new off the showroom floor back in 2005, cost me 33k total after taxes and fees and so on. That's a LOT of money!! But, I agreed to pay it because I truly felt like I was getting a tough, quality, reliable, dependable and great truck! Now, I can't say anything bad about this truck.. EXCEPT for the dang steering clunk noise. That's the ONLY issue I've had from this truck since I bought it brand new back in 2005.. so, even with the steering clunk noise, I still have to give Chevrolet props on building a tough and dependable truck. The Vortec 5.3 (basically a 327 engine) is one of the best engines you can get in the Silverado IMO. My truck now as 116k miles on her and I'm telling ya, she starts/runs like she doesn't even know she has 116k miles on her. Same with the transmission.. I've not had any issues from it either. But, then again.. I also make sure that I keep both the engine/transmission serviced on a regular basis.. and when it comes to the engine oil, I do that myself and always use either the Mobil-1 filter or the K&N oil filter because they flow and filter so much better than those cheap ones could ever think about doing. As for the transmission, I take that to a local garage that I trust (the only one I trust) because I'm not confident enough to do the transmission service because you have to follow the right protocol to make sure you get a correct reading from the dip-stick and so many other things, that are so vital and you have to make sure they're done correctly, otherwise you will end up damaging the transmission.

But, again.. whenever it comes time to get a new truck? Yeah, I'm seriously considering looking into browsing the Toyota Tundra's (the fullsize trucks with the 5.7 V8 engines) or possibly even going with a new Dodge.

Before I bought this 2005 Silverado, I had a 2001 Dodge Dakota Crew-Cab (2wd) that had the 4.7 liter V8 in it and that thing would flat out run! I had it for 4 years and never had one single problem out of it. And believe me, I ran that thing hard at times.

I could only imagine a Dodge Dakota Crew-Cab 2-wheel drive with a HEMI in it. I mean, could you imagine?!?! LOL!

Now, as far as Fords go?? Ehhh yeah... no. I wouldn't drive a Ford if the dealership/factory GAVE me one, period! I had a 1997 Ford Ranger 4x4 Single-Cab back when I was in high school. It had the 3.0 V6 (crappy engine) with a manual 5-speed transmission. It had the push-button 4X4 and 'LOW RANGE' buttons on the dash. Only thing I can say positive about that truck would be that it would go places that any other trucks wouldn't dare even think of going. I mean, literally, I went down trails that some professionally equipped off-road jeeps wouldn't even go.. and that little Ranger would go down those trails like it was nothing. It was crazy!

So anyhow. Yeah, its either going to be another Silverado (or maybe GMC Sierra) for me.. or, I'll just go with a new Dodge crew-cab. If Chevy doesn't have their engineering disasters figured out and fixed in the next 3 years when I'm ready for a new one?? Then they can count on losing me as a customer.. and believe me, I won't be the only loyal customer they'll lose if they don't get this crap under control.

-SG

#13 ·
yea SG, I love my Silverado - bought it last year after specifically looking for a full size with under 100k miles. It had 82k, was one owner, traded a Honda & cash, so it's paid for ! I'm a fanatic about maintenance, so I want it to last, that's why the noise was driving me nuts. I have had Dodges, Fords & a Nissan, but the GM products by far ride & drive the best. I will also look at the Tundras' or a Dodge Hemi when I can afford to spend $30k or $40k, but really plan on getting at least 200k out of this 04 Silv. I have had over 20 Chev/GMC products since 1976; I just wish they would issue a dealer repair for this steering issue -- now that would make me more prone to want a new one. Keep it 'tween the ditches !

#14 ·
Both of my 04`s have the infamous and now dreaded steering column clunk. My 1500 started at about 30K, took it in for warranty in 06 as I was clueless and thought something was loose and wore out. Service manager said it was a sh*t design and was very common in these trucks, only fix was to take apart and grease about every 10k, but it is safe to drive, just an irritant to listen to or feel. Now I`ve just gotten used to it after 124K, still the same noise. The 2500 has 78K on it, just bought that last Summer. But I may get ambitious one day and try the instructions in this thread.

#15 ·
bigblockV8 said:
yea SG, I love my Silverado - bought it last year after specifically looking for a full size with under 100k miles. It had 82k, was one owner, traded a Honda & cash, so it's paid for ! I'm a fanatic about maintenance, so I want it to last, that's why the noise was driving me nuts. I have had Dodges, Fords & a Nissan, but the GM products by far ride & drive the best. I will also look at the Tundras' or a Dodge Hemi when I can afford to spend $30k or $40k, but really plan on getting at least 200k out of this 04 Silv. I have had over 20 Chev/GMC products since 1976; I just wish they would issue a dealer repair for this steering issue -- now that would make me more prone to want a new one. Keep it 'tween the ditches !
Oh yeah, I couldn't agree more man. I personally think that GM should have to reimburse customers that have paid money (and some of them have paid LOTS of money) to get the steering shaft replaced and or serviced to try and fix the clunking noise. I mean, as long as the customers have their receipts from the repair/service and the receipt or receipts show/describe in detail that the customer had the steering shaft repaired/replaced to fix the 'clunk noise', I don't see a problem with it. But, then again.. I know GM wouldn't even think of paying us back for the repairs. If they would though? Yeah, I'd definitely stick with GM/Chevy.

My truck has 116k on it now.. and I'm hoping I can get 200k to 225k-250k out of it. If I can do that in the next 3 to 4 years, then I'll have enough money saved to just go out and buy a new GM truck and I'll be able to keep the 2005 instead of trading it in because I plan on putting in a corvette supercharged Z06 crate motor mated to a brand new 6-speed automatic transmission. The entire engine/transmission package is going to run me between 12k all the way up to 17k just for the engine/transmission.. so that's not including the cost of pulling the stock 5.3 V8 and the 4L60E automatic transmission. Plus, whatever extra parts I might need. And! If your wondering if it can even be done.. yes, it can be done. I've seen a few Silverado's that have had the Supercharged Z06 Corvette engine/transmissions put in them. It's a tight fit.. but it can be done.

I could do that.. or just put in some type of crazy tricked out 5.3 or 6.0 LS engine.

Speaking of which.. does anyone know of a couple of links that carry LS performance parts??

#16 ·
Crabman said:
Both of my 04`s have the infamous and now dreaded steering column clunk. My 1500 started at about 30K, took it in for warranty in 06 as I was clueless and thought something was loose and wore out. Service manager said it was a sh*t design and was very common in these trucks, only fix was to take apart and grease about every 10k, but it is safe to drive, just an irritant to listen to or feel. Now I`ve just gotten used to it after 124K, still the same noise. The 2500 has 78K on it, just bought that last Summer. But I may get ambitious one day and try the instructions in this thread.
Yep. It's one of the worst engineering attempts I've ever seen by GM. I mean.. it almost makes me wonder if the engineers that came up with the steering for these trucks were on drugs or drunk whenever they mapped out the build plans for the steering shafts. I mean, they HAD to be distracted by something because my 13 year-old nephew could do a better job than that. No joke!

Yeah, I got to thinking about something yesterday. If I'm going to follow through with my plans.. of keeping my 2005 Silverado crew-cab 2wheel-drive truck.. instead of trading it in within the next 3 to 4 years.. then I'm sincerely considering about drilling/tapping/threading a hole in the steering shaft and threading in a grease-fitting/nipple so that I can grease the darn thing every to every-other oil change. I think ALL GM dealerships should offer this option to their loyal customers.. just M.O. though.

#19 ·
Old topic but still changing GM owners lives all across the world. Finally got around to trying this on my 03 1500 Z71 after dealing with it since buying it 1.5 years ago with 87k miles (just getting broken in).

I was skeptical that it would work because the knock seemed especially loud and I wondered if it was something more severe.

Took a grand total of about 15 mins, mainly because I did it in my garage and was at an awkward angle. Took her for a test drive and not only is the sound gone but the steering feels incredibly smooth. Probably like it did when it was new which I never experienced.

Even if the sound comes back every 6 months, I'm happy to take a few mins to do this over and over as long as it keeps working.

Thank you!

#21 ·
I know this is old, but does anyone have a link to a video of this fix that works? Old link was broken.

#22 ·
kilbywill said:
I know this is old, but does anyone have a link to a video of this fix that works? Old link was broken.
I'm due to do this again on my truck so will try to get either some pictures or a video. It doesn't take long for the sound to come back. The last time I fixed it was in April 2018 and we're now in December and it's needed it for a few weeks.

#23 ·
Thanks. I've put up with it for years knowing it's an easy fix just have never got around to it. And it seems to be getting worse recently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.