Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Frame beaming?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Marsole 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about this condition? Harmonic vibrations from the frame? A buddy of mine said he read a TSB from GM that tells you to put 350 lbs of weight between the tailgate and wheel wells if experiencing rear vibration at hwy speeds. If the vibration is gone it is a condition called frame beaming. Nothing they can do about it. Rear cab mounts?

#2 ·
Is it a vibration or shaking? I've got a shaking that seems to be coming from the rear tires. I think I've got a tire that's unbalanced or out of round....but just wanted to know more about this issue.

#3 ·
This is definitely a vibration. Starts at about 45 mph through 60 then goes away again. Harsher under power, let off and coast and it stops until the engine brakes which when this happens is again torquing the drive line. Tried every variation, ie. OD off, in neutral, brakes applied, engine off.... Now this in my opinion points to bad U-joint, out of balance driveshaft or a tranny mount...something like that. My mechanic put 'er up on the hoist and checked it all out and said every thing was good. I have the one piece shaft.

That's what brought me to this "frame beaming" I've heard about. Seems alot of the 2500HD's experience this especially the ext and crew cabs. Got the day off tomorrow so I'm going to try the load at the tailgate and see if the vibration goes away. If it does I'll be happy to have found the problem but, unhappy in the sense that I have to haul some kind of load at all times!!???

Any other HD lovers out there experiencing this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.