Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Leaking Fluid at U joint?

17K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  11 Silverado 
#1 ·
Crawled under my truck today and noticed my U joint might be leaking. (or somewhere around it) There is no fluid or anything on ground but a straight line on the bottom of my truck seems to be spraying out while drive shaft is spinning. No idea what it is or where is coming from. Any help would be great thanks!

#2 ·
If you are refering to the front u joint, it is probably the transmission (think that it is called the) tailshaft seal. It is where the driveshaft goes into the rear of the transmission. Not too hard to fix, just will need to drop the driveshaft and replace the seal.

#4 ·
I have not done it in years, but to remove the driveshaft. There are I believe 4 bolt on the rear u joint that you remove. You can then slide the driveshaft forward a little just to drop it out of the rear u joint. Then you just pull it backwards to remove it from the back of the trans. Just be sure to mark the driveshaft, and the rear u joint, so you install it in the same position. It would also be great to have an extra pair of hands to help hold the driveshaft when you remove, and install it. As far as the seal goes, I am not sure if there are any special tools needed on these newer trucks to remove and install it. Like I said, it has been many years since I have worked on one. Someone else here should see this, and give you more information about the seal remove/install. Good luck with you project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.