Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

transfer case fluid

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dshanks 
#1 ·
i've got a 99 silverado and can't find where you would put or check the fluid.it kind of makes a groaning whirley noise on left side.gets worse when driven for a short while.i've noticed a very slow drip where the front drive shaft goes into the case.it also seams like it doesn't fully disengage out of 4x4 unless i go to L4 then 2wd.thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Not sure of the mechanical issues, but the fill plug should be located on the top, but not 100%, alldata wasn't very specific, but do look into the fluid, and replacing the seal, it should help both issues

#7 ·
There are 2 plugs on the back side, 18mm head (3/4"), one about half way up and one low on the bottom. pull the one thats in the center and add fluid into it until fluid starts to come out. reinstall plug. Chances are if its noisy you got a bearing gone, to little to late

#8 ·
Ck guy said back of tcase you'll see 2 plugs bottoms drain tops add plug ate you get this drown howl in 2wd? I had a similiar problem but it's was only when in 4x4 turned outthat I streched the chain and it was tubing the tail section inside the tcase, I would get under there and check it out before you have to replace the hole thing and it's not cheap what tcase you have 261np2 manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.