Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

1-2 shift accumulator replacement

59K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ruig5252 
#1 ·
06 sierra with a 4L60E transmission with hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Diagnosed as bad 1-2 shift accumulator. Thinking about replacing it myself. Does the valve body need to be removed to replace the 1-2 shift accumulator? Is this something a person with moderate auto repair skill can accomplish?

#4 ·
This is very easy to do for even your novice do it yourselfer. Remove pan. Be cafeful and do not pry pan. You will have to remove shifter cable out of bracket and bend shifter arm brack towards driveshaft a littke to make life alot easier in removing the pan. Then remove filter by wiggling and straight down pull from front or else you could crack the neck of filter. Then remove the 3 10mm headed bolts from 1-2 accumulator. There is just a spring and a piston with an outer seal on it. These springs are known for breaking. Just visually inspect and ck your local dealer or trans shop for replacement parts as needed. Remember that the cupped part of the piston goes IN the housing and not facing up. Just remember the spring sits in this cupped part. 1 bolt is longer than other 2 which will be obvious by the way the accumulator housing is. When installing torque to 110 inch lbs. Id install new filter and pan gasket and fluid. Torque pan bolts to 100 inch lbs bend bracket back and reinstall shifter cable. Average joe should be able to finish in 2 hours not including going to get parts and questions along the way just ask

#8 ·
Future searchers like me!

Yes, I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but the '03 I'm hoping to buy has a hard shift from 1-2 and smooth shifting in every other gear -- cold or warmed up. I'm having a hard time finding the part, and provided I locate it, having pictures would be very helpful to a visually-oriented driveway mechanic like me.

EDIT: OK, this looks different from the TSB about the accumulator valve replacement, talking about removing the valve body. What am I missing?

#9 ·
Machster69 said:
Give u an idea. You should really ask masterm88... He does this for a living!
I hate to bump an old thread, but I've been searching a lot and I can't find a diagram that shows the location of all 3 accumulators. I'm specifically looking for the 3-4 accumulator location. I've found lots of pictures of 3-4 accumulators, but just the part after it's been removed.

#11 ·
masterem88 said:
This is very easy to do for even your novice do it yourselfer. Remove pan. Be cafeful and do not pry pan. You will have to remove shifter cable out of bracket and bend shifter arm brack towards driveshaft a littke to make life alot easier in removing the pan. Then remove filter by wiggling and straight down pull from front or else you could crack the neck of filter. Then remove the 3 10mm headed bolts from 1-2 accumulator. There is just a spring and a piston with an outer seal on it. These springs are known for breaking. Just visually inspect and ck your local dealer or trans shop for replacement parts as needed. Remember that the cupped part of the piston goes IN the housing and not facing up. Just remember the spring sits in this cupped part. 1 bolt is longer than other 2 which will be obvious by the way the accumulator housing is. When installing torque to 110 inch lbs. Id install new filter and pan gasket and fluid. Torque pan bolts to 100 inch lbs bend bracket back and reinstall shifter cable. Average joe should be able to finish in 2 hours not including going to get parts and questions along the way just ask
What Parts are needed to do this?

I find this but not sure if there is anything else I need to track down before digging into this project.

ACDelco 24226359

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.