Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

My Differentials

27K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  amberlynn 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what rear end I have on my 01? My VIN is 2GCEK19T511290633. Also, sometime in the near future I was going to change fluid in rear and maybe front differential. I can find in my manuals what type to use but not how much. Anyone know how many quarts, roughly, my front will need and how many in my rear? Id like to know what gear ratio I have. And I think because its Z71 its limited slip and I need an additive for the rear maybe? Please and thanks in advance!

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Amber
You need to look at the codes on the sticker on the glovebox door. A G80 is a locking rear diff. and a GT4 the ratio, 3.73 like Austin said above. I've change fluid in both diffs. The rear takes about 2.25 qts. I use Redline 75W90 synthetic, and the front is about 1.9 qts. I put synthetic in the front too, but it's not required.

#4 ·
Thank you both. I was planning on synthetic for both. Is there an additive I need with the posi? Thank you for telling me the amounts. Could not find that info anywhere and will confirm on my glove box door. If it does require the additive in the rear, what's the ratio of fluid to additive?

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Austin said:
From Compnine....
GT4 AXLE,REAR,3.73 RATIO 3.73R(GT4)
G80 AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP R/AXL(G80)
Is there an additive I need with the posi?
Do not use any additive, you do not have POSI. You have mechanical G80 Locking differential.

The online lookup is giving the wrong RPO description for trucks and SUV's, see tsb below

POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP are only installed in cars. A limited slip used in trucks was only used on the quadrasteer and it was RPO G86.

Use what you get from those lookups with caution, this is one error and I know of another error as its lists my CTS4 as a DTS.

#PIP4054C: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns - keywords bind grab grind - (Aug 26, 2008)

Subject: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2000-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2002-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

2004-2009 Chevrolet Colorado

2003-2009 Chevrolet Express

2000-2009 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2000-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2002-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2004-2009 GMC Canyon

2002-2009 GMC Envoy

2000-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2000-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

2003-2009 GMC Savana

Equipped With a Locking Rear Differential RPO G80

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may comment on a chatter or shudder from the rear axle on vehicles equipped with an Eaton locking differential. This condition would be noticed in parking lot maneuvers, turning, or during locking differential engagement and may be more noticeable when the differential is hot. Locking differential clutch chatter may be causing this concern.

Note 1: This does not apply to vehicles equipped with RPO QS4 (Quadrasteer) which is part of option package NYS. Quadrasteer vehicles use Dana axles and have a different fluid requirement.

Note 2: This PI does not apply to vehicles equipped with a RPO G86 limited slip differential.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If differential clutch chatter is encountered in a vehicle equipped with an Eaton locking differential, flush, drain and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. If the condition returns replace the rear differential clutch plates and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. Refer to eSI for clutch plate replacement and set up procedures.

Note 1: Eaton locking differentials used in 10.5" rear axles are equipped with steel clutch plates. It is a design characteristic of these steel clutch plates to exhibit more clutch chatter than other models.

***Important: Installing any friction modifier causes the clutch pack in the locking differential to slip and miss engagement. A fluid flush can often remove debris that is a contributor to clutch chatter. Adding friction modifier additive can cause a loss of locking differential functionality***

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.