Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Auto Trans Quit

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  robfriedenberger 
#1 ·
2005 Sierra 1500 Z71, 5.3, Auto.

Suddenly yesterday the trans just stopped working. Had driven an hour or so then stopped at store for 5 minutes. When I left I drove about 200 yards to a stop sign. When I tried to take off the trans just slipped.

I checked fluid and it didn't smell burned, it appered OK.

When I restarted the truck it drove just fine - for another couple hundred yards. It will do that over and over, just drive a couple hundred yatds before totally slipping again.

I had it towed to my house where I disconnected tha battery for a couple hours to see if something computer related had to be reset but that didn't change anything.

So I'm at a loss.

Is there some history or commen problem the truck has fallen victim to?

#6 ·
I don't know if it shifts up through the gears or not because when it does roll I've never went faster than say 10 miles an hour.

I bought the truck used so I don't know anything really about it's history. What I bought it I spent about 15 minutes underneath it looking it over and never saw drop of fluid anywhere it was totally bone dry and still is.

150,000 Miles on it now.

It does seem to have some slight little noise to it also I'm not sure how to describe it but it's not very loud.

#7 ·
To me it's sounding electrical related. Can't really tell as I'm not there driving it but that's what it sounds like to me. Check all your grounds. I believe the tranny ground is located on the frame towards the front of the passenger door. Als also check linkages and all connections and wires as best as possible. If its not making and grinding noise it's hard to say. That happened on my truck but the shaft in the tranny broke in 1/2 but it made ALOT of noise. Also only went a couple feet and went dead. But once it finished completely it wasn't even worth a rebuild.

Check wiring and grounds and linkage. If that all checks drop the pan and look for any big metal peices in the fluid... If there is you'd have to either get it rebuilt or a completely new one... If you go that route I also recommend flushing all the tranny lines before you install the new/rebuilt one t make sure theirs no remains in the lines.

#9 ·
Man, hope its not a dark metalic green GMC CC with RealTree camo Z71 decals, my old 2005 GMC. I had to have the tranny rebuilt in it 2 times and it was going out again when I traded it in. The first time at 43,000 miles, the 2nd at 98,000 an when I traded it in on my 11, it had 129+ on it. I don't know if it's a systemic problem, because both times my 2nd an 3rd gears were shot and other than overreving, it never made a grinding noise.

#11 ·
Yep usually when they go you'll know right off the bat. But having 150k miles you might get lucky just getting your tranny flushed and fresh fluid. Your plates may just be worn out with that mileage. Especially if that's the original tranny and it pulled heavy loads or oversized tires. Mine went out at 125k miles but I ran 33s since day 1 and my truck factory came with 27.5s pretty big difference and I pulled some pretty heavy boats and whatnot on a weekly basis not including the mud holes and whatnot I put it through. Being a 2wd and eceryone thought it was 4x4 to even try doing what I did... Self explanatory it went through hell and back before it went.

If your at a loss any transmission shop could almost pinpoint exactly what's wrong or if its worth trying to rebuild but in my experience a brand new tranny is only a few 100 more if you can afford it and do the labor yourself. And usually a far better warranty.

#13 ·
Yep this is true... Most places just replace the parts that are bad and clean it out. Still use a lot of old parts. Had a buddy that did a rebuild on his 06 sierra. All they changed was 1 of the servos and cleaned it out. Charged him 1600 bucks. That's basically to take it off the truck and change a 100$ part and install it. No clutch plates are anything were changed. 3 month 5000 mile warranty.

Brand new (at least we're I got it from) 5 year 100k mile warranty, 1850$ but I had to do the work... Maybe 4 hours it took me and I know everything is brand spanking new... Not just a servo... I think I got the better end of the deal... Not to mention his is slipping already and he just hit 7500 miles. They won't even touch it being out of warrantee without giving him a bill. And it is a pretty reputable tranny shop he had the work done at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.