Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Whistling / hissing noise

96K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Gimme a Jimmy 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Chevy silverado 1500 with a 5.3. It recently started making a hissing noise or kind of a sucking air noise coming from the drivers side of the engine like by the intake when you press the accelerator. I just got the intake gasket changed still didn't fix it does anybody know what this could be?

#8 ·
Does sound like a vacuum leak. if you cant find it try looking up a DIY Vacuum leak fix. If you can find a certain hose and a lit cigar you will be able to find the leak. You essentially just blow smoke into a certain hose and it will come out (IF its a vacuum hose thats blowing air) if it's sucking air it's going to be hit and miss trying to find it.

#10 ·
Here's a link to a video on youtube that will show you the basics. Granted this guy is goofy but he knows what he's talking about.
Hope this helps.

#12 ·
Get a rubber hose (bout 2-3 feet long & about 1/4 inch in diameter. It can be flimsy if you want, stiff hoses tend to be hard to use), cup your fist around one end and put your ear to it. The other end put it around the area where the whistle might be coming from. Near the fan will be hard to tell, but it will sound loud and kinda like the ocean. You should hear the sound the same time you hear the RPM go up since that when it is mostly noticeable.

#15 ·
Maybe your intakes gasket is faulty and is letting air in. Check your plugs and see if it's running lean. If it is then I'd say you might have to have part of the top end taken off to replace the gasket. http://www.ehow.com/list_6456539_signs- ... asket.html It won't be good to leave it like it is, with extra air getting in it may hydro lock the engine.

#21 ·
That really bothers me and i'm not even driving it! I've never heard of this happening before. But it's definitely a sucking noise? Not coming from your pulley system?

#23 ·
An easy fix lol Just take off your intake arm and there should be a couple torx screws holding in the blade. Check to see if its loose then take it off and get some carb cleaner and spray it down and clean it real well then spray some on a rag that won't leave debris behind and wipe down the inside real good. then when you go to put the arm back on put a tiny tiny bit of oil on the rubber to help seal it better. That should fix it

#26 ·
You definitely have a leak somewhere. The more air it sucks in the faster the engine will spin. makes sure its all the air arm is fully connected and while the truck is running put pressure on the air arm and see if it stops. Did you make sure the blade was turns in the same direction that it came off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.