Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HHO Hydrogen

12K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Walkers 
#1 ·
Hello,
Been reading this forum for a couple weeks. Just got my truck in October. LOVE IT! The nicest riding and comfortable truck I have ever had. I get pretty good mileage as far as I am concerned, 17 city and 22 hwy if I am VERY careful with the throttle, BUT I was looking to at performance / mileage tips and products when I started reading about HHO, addition of a hydrogen producing unit along with some ECU, O2 and MAF sensor mods to get big gains in mileage.

Some claims seem very out-landish and I am sure many are false. There is enough data around to inspire my very inquisitive mind to wonder if I could make this sort of conversion work on my truck or not.

I have to ask has anyone on this forum done, know someone who has done, or know of a site with info on doing this to my newer model truck? I know there is alot more involved than the simple addition of the unit, and have done some research...........but we can get into that more later on. If I do this I would post info and put together a complete guide on it, if it is successful.

This is my first post, just joined today. Thanks in advance to anyone with info.

#2 ·
Welcome to the site, Mike! I've never heard of anything like a hydrogen add-on, for either trucks or cars. I know that there are experimental hydrogen vehicles out in California- which begs a question- where would you get a hydrogen refill in Wisconsin? I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it sounds pretty fishy to me.

Unfortunately, trucks really aren't designed with mpg's in mind- they usually weigh around 5-7000 pounds; the engines are usually big-block V8s that are, along with the transmissions and rear-axle gearing, set up for towing and hauling. But keep us posted, if you find any more facts on that hydrogen system.

#3 ·
Yeah. Sounds fishy. BMW has done the most research on hydrogen and they are soon to produce an all hydro powered car. But I've never heard of a gas/hydo hybrid (is that what you're talking about?).

The other big issue is, if you had a hydo burning engine, where will you fuel up?

Welcome aboard BTW.

#6 ·
"Creating water energy" as you refer to it is actually a basic chemistry 101 experiment. You induce an electric current to water (H2O) and it breaks down to its basic elements (hydrogen and oxygen).

So this system then captured the produced hydrogen and then injects it into the intake?

#7 ·
I love reading about these kinds of things too, it would be awesome if we could get more mpg's without losing power. The problem I have with these kits and others that I have read about, is that there is no way to get the amount of hydrogen that would be needed. An engine running at 2k rpm would need a substantial amount of hydrogen gas on hand to off set any petrol gas being used. Plus it always seems kind of a moot point, you are already using petrol gas to generate the power which is being used to turn water into hydrogen gas. I think it was Mythbusters that actually showed that a carbonated engine can run on hydrogen, but it was not for very long, and it was being fed with a 100 lb tank of hydrogen.

#8 ·
I'll have to agree with mevans, I did experiment with this system on a couple of other vehicles. Cant say I realized any difference, seemed that the water injection I played with made a larger impact. If you do attempt the HHO, you need a very large generating unit, which really isn't practical. You could play with it, and possibly improve your MPGs, but its kind of doubtful.

#9 ·
Essentially, the weight of the unit and the power it takes, offsets any possible gains you might get. That's why it's taking the major car companies billions of dollars and many years to come up with a feasable hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.

#10 ·
I own a 2010 Silverado with a lc9 engine. I also recently purchases a HHO kit that claims to produce between 1,2 l/m to 4.0 l/m.

Seeing that your original poste is in 2011 I was wondering how your effort turned out.
I also love my truck and use it to haul my 28" fifth wheel, and saw this as a neat little project (even if it doesn't turn out with the crazy claims of "up to fifty percent better fuel consumption") I would be satisfied with 5% !!!

Right now I am waiting for my HHO order to come in with the manufacturer's installation and operating instructions.

Please post with your results.

#12 ·
Hi I recieved the kit, but the weather has turned here in Québec. I'm not sure I want to mess around with it during sub zero celcius conditions. I also have a Jette TDI, I think that I'll do my expérimentations on that car seeing that it deosn't need me to change any sensor inputs. The kit I ordered is a drycell, looks really nice and proffessional, I can't wait to try it out.

Did you have any reults from your homemade unit? I use my truck mainly as a rv hauler and am always tinkering trying to lighten the fuel bill at the end of the haul....

I'll keep you posted as I experiment

#17 ·
It’s super easy, just don’t do it. It is a waste of time and energy. There was a fad of installing them back when this thread was started over 10 years ago. The problem is that it takes more energy to produce the hydrogen than it gives you back in mileage or power. So in the end you have a mileage reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.