Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

New 2011 Silverado 5.3 - Oil Changes and Programmers

6K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  carsonhowe22 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm a new member to the forum and first time owner of a Chevy Silverado. I just came over from the dark side with my purchase of a new 2011 Silverado with the 5.3 V8. I have a couple questions for you all folks that are more knowledgeable than I.

1. Would it do anything to the engine good or bad to do oil changes more frequent for the first 5,000-10,000 miles? I was thinking like one after 1,000, then 2,500, then 5,000, and then 8,000.

2. I plan to put an aftermarket air intake and exhaust on the truck. What is your opinion of the Diablosport programmers? I was thinking about getting the intune but am wondering what the tuner comes with stock (on the device or downloadable) for free and if it will do anything for me (power / fuel efficiency).

Thanks

#3 ·
I changed my engine oil to full synthetic Mobil one ep after the initial break in period then at 30k changed the tranny to a soil full synthetic the rear end came with synthetic in it will change it also shortly as I pull a five thousam
Nd pound load five days a week. Also I have used several types of tuners since 10k miles and there a wide range of opinions as to personal preference. I am awaiting my new diablo Intune and a lew tune . Never had a problem with my dealer as I return it to stock when I take it in for service.

#6 ·
i got 1200 miles on mine, i plan on changing around 3000 maybe a little before. Im going to use mobil 1 full synthetic i belive, and then i will do oil changes at problly 5k mile intervals. As for your air intake question and programer i can't help you there, mines stock, but there are plenty of knowledgable guys on here that can help ya, welcome to the forum!

#7 ·
I ran mine to 60% oil life on the first oil change and have since went on the 30% oil and changed it. I have converted to Mobil1 after the first oil change. I am trying to decide what programmer to go with myself. The only mod thus far for me is flowmaster exhaust.

On my 08 Avalanche I have been running the hypertech max energy and it seems pretty good.

I have been looking at the bully dog gt for my new truck because of some of the heads up display options, but not sure.

#8 ·
To answer your first question, I don't think changing the oil more often than normal could hurt anything. I recommend running synthetic and changing it every 4-5000 miles. Also if you plan on getting an aftermarket air intake, I would recommend the K&N cold air intake. The exhaust really depends on personal preference, but I have a Flowmaster 40 series in mine and I'm pretty happy with it. It's got that low roar sound to it and adds a 5-7% HP gain and will boost your gas mileage an extra 1-2 MPG if you can keep your foot off the pedal, since you'll be loving the sound so much ;)

Programmers on the high end level will mainly differ on the user interface. My brother has an Edge Evolution III programmer in his '07 Silverado and he loves it. It even has a dash mount that makes it look factory installed. It has a gas economy mode, performance mode, and towing mode and you can monitor over 20-something parameters at one time. I would have one for my '04 Silverado but sadly they only make that kind for the new body styles :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.