Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Burning too much oil???

45K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  HMaster 
#1 ·
So i drive Sierra 1500 5.3 with about 95k miles. I noticed the oil gauge a little off today so i checked the oil and added about 2.5 qts of oil! Is that normal? I checked to see if i have a leak but can't find any evidence of one. My DIC syas the oil life is at 63% so i had me wondering if its okay?

#8 ·
There is an oil consumption problem with some 2007+ AFM aluminum engines. Check with the dealer on this as there are several fixes that they make you jump thru before they put in new rings and pistons. The oil forms deposits in the deactivated cylinders and causes problems with the rings sticking in certain position and allowing oil to get by.

Here is just one of numerous bulletins on this
#10-06-01-008A: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) ( Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder) - (Sep 28, 2010)

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)

with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)
If this does not work, new rings and pistons are next.

#10 ·
Bsnowden, you don't have to worry about this exact problem becuase you don't have AFM.

I just Flashed my PCM with my InTune last night and deactivated the AFM feature, it was kind of nice slowing down for a turn, turning and not having the shutter under exceleration while the truck figured out how to go from 4 to 8 cylinders.

#11 ·
Z15 said:
There is an oil consumption problem with some 2007+ AFM aluminum engines. Check with the dealer on this as there are several fixes that they make you jump thru before they put in new rings and pistons. The oil forms deposits in the deactivated cylinders and causes problems with the rings sticking in certain position and allowing oil to get by.

Here is just one of numerous bulletins on this
#10-06-01-008A: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) ( Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder) - (Sep 28, 2010)

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Equipped with Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LC9, LH6, L76, LFA, L92)

with Greater than 45,000 km (28,000 mi)
If this does not work, new rings and pistons are next.
Have reports of this issue decreased on newer models? Obviously too early for reports on 12's but I don't see many 10 or 11's when I google around.

#12 ·
I don't think there has been much of a change in the past few years.

#13 ·
well, when i frist bought my truck i used regular penzoil and i always noticed on oil changes, every 3000k miles, there was a quart gone. After that i started using Ultra synthetic and it hasnt been a problem since. Not saying that the synthetic oil fixed it, but ive been using that for a couple years now and ive still yet havent had anymore problems. so something went right.

#16 ·
Took mine in last week, it was down a qt in around 2000 miles, which is'nt bad compaired to some stories I've read http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.p ... pic=127812 . I think (hope) we cought it early :? The dealer replaced the drivers side valve cover, added a AFM oil deflector in the oil pan and cleaned the cylinders. We'll see, I guess the next step would be pistons and rings as some have had done.

#17 ·
Some oil usage is normal and acceptable. Here is information pertaining the oil consumption. I offer this for informational purposes and not as an indictment of how someone drives or the brand of oil the may be using.

All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

GM Policy
Oil Consumption
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.
Aggressive Driving, High Speed or High RPM Driving
Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. By "aggressive," we mean operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This characteristic does, however, require the owner to check the engine oil level at sufficiently frequent intervals, especially when driving aggressively, to assure the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. As the Owner's Manual recommends, you should check the oil level every time you get fuel.
Volatility
Volatization is a term used to describe what happens to a fluid when it is heated to the point it begins to "boil off." Upon reaching a certain temperature, oil will begin to lose some of its lighter weight molecules as they vaporize and leave heavier weight molecules behind. Not only does this cause higher oil consumption, it causes increased viscosity, making the oil more difficult to circulate through the lubrication system. The thicker oil left behind after volatization contributes to damaging deposits, sticky piston rings and oil blow-by(GM AFM engine oil use contributing problems?), all of which contribute to reduced engine life, reduced fuel economy and increased air pollution.

At one time it was not uncommon for typical conventional oils to experience 20-30 percent boil-off in the NOACK Volatility Test. Today's API standard for SM and SN oils is 15 percent, putting greater demands on oil manufacturers. Premium synthetic oils are significantly more resistant to these effects, with some of the best in the 4.5 to 6 percent range.

NOACK Volatility

ASTM D5800 - 08 Standard Test Method for Evaporation Loss of Lubricating Oils by the NOACK Method

NOACK volatility determines the evaporative loss of engine oils. This test is important because the operating temperatures of an engine will typically drive off the lighter ends of a lubricant while in service. This effectively results in pushing the viscosity of the lubricant to a more viscous level (up) and, as a result, fuel economy goes down due to an increase in parasitic load.

The evaporation loss is of particular importance in engine lubrication. Where high temperatures occur, portions of an oil can evaporate. Evaporation may contribute to oil consumption in an engine and can lead to a change in the properties of an oil.

#18 ·
I have a 2008 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 and the AFM system. The last time i took it in for an oil change which i do at every 3000 miles the mechanic told me it was 2 quarts low when he pulled it in the garage, this concerned me as well. It is about due again so i will see if it is 2 quarts low again this time. I have been told it is caused during the AFM system control during cruising speeds, sounds like a bunch of bull to me. A buddy had the same truck and finally got rid of it because the dealer would not do anything about it, he was using between 2 and 3 each oil change as well.

#19 ·
I am going to check my oil level and will check it in a bit to see if the level changes now that I have turned off AFM.

#20 ·
So has GM added the AFM oil deflector in production or is it still just a fix when needed? I sure hate reading about these things when I just shelled out my hard earned money on a 2012. Don't get me wrong, I'd heard about it, but really hope that in the 6th model year of producing the 5.3 AFM GM would have figured some things out. I didn't buy an extended warranty or anything cuz I've never been a fan of them.

#21 ·
Theres nothing normal about it. The dealer will at first try to tell you its normal. If you are still under warranty print off the above listed TSB. I got a new valve cover and deflector shield installed in the oil pan. My valve cover on driver side was not sealing properly causing coonsumption. They cleaned the rings ect. then installed the valve cover. No more consumption! I did just get it fixed about two months ago however. Before that i was only draining 3 quarts out at every oil change with synthetic! I only have 30k on my truck however. Trucks with higher mileage who have had the consumption for awhile may need rings/pistons replaced. Dealer said if caaught in early stages like mine was my above mentioned fix cures 95% of the consupmtion issues. Hope this helps good luck!

#22 ·
I checked mine over the weekend while i was greasing the front end..I was a qt and a half low at 4000 miles!!!.....Dealer oil that was in it when I bought it...truck has 67k on it right now...I drive hard about 35% of the time. I was rather alarmed myself...I have the 706 heads...but Im not sure if they are Castech or not.....

#23 ·
So if your wondering what ended up happening! I took the Sierra back again after they tested the oil burning which they said was normal, they were looking into swapping out the lifters when they took the block apart and noticed that cylinder 7 was done with! they called me back about 2 days after i dropped it off and as i type, i am getting a new engine in it! ill post some pictures i took later on. :shock:

#24 ·
hold the phone! i have a 07 with the LH6 motor (alum w/ active fuel managment) and the truck has 53K miles on it...how can i deactivate the AFM? will that solve the problem...after putting a 3.5" kit on my truck it said i has low oil level on my DIC...so i added about a quart. i constantly have trace amounts of oil on a cross member between the engine and tranny i swear the little bit of fluid is red...but sometimes it looks black..would that oil you discussed be coming out the exhaust?

#26 ·
lilmagoo1 said:
hold the phone! i have a 07 with the LH6 motor (alum w/ active fuel managment) and the truck has 53K miles on it...how can i deactivate the AFM?
Tuners can deactivate the AFM feature. I believe that's one of Diablo's specialties...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.