Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Do I have AFM, how do I tell?

59K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  davester3500 
#1 ·
I apologize if this has been asked a million times (i did search as well). What is the designator or indicator that a truck has AFM? I have a 2011 WT 6.0 gasser.
Thanks for helping a rookie out

#8 ·
The way you can tell is by checking your dipstick! If your 2 quarts low on oil you have AFM. :( in all seriousness, the sticker by the fan shroud should have it written. Also my master cylinder has a AFM tag on the booster line...if your truck is equipped you can also push the buttons on your dash to see the instant economy and will tell you when u are in 4cylinder mode.. if you have a wt there is no indication you are in 4 mode you should feel it slightly and hear it change tones and may shudder a little. A guy I work with has a wt. And it shuddered so much it cracked a transmission tube

#9 ·
Meanjoe said:
I have the Silverado 1WT model, and how do I know if I am in V4 or V8? There is no indicator on my truck dash like there is on the 1LT Silverado's....
Before I got my dic upgrade, I could tell a slight difference in exhaust tone. The new 2014's are supposed to be seamless though when the change happens. So it may be a little harder to tell this way or with a little shudder like said above. Your rpm's may also drop just slightly also, when on open flat roads at a constant speed, this is when AFM normally will kick in.

#10 ·
Thank you for the reply....I really don't feel a shudder, it seems to be rather smooth transition, and I don't hear an exhaust tone change either. But, I only have 2k miles on her. I will play around with my DIC(K), and see what happens....

#12 ·
5.3 and 6.0 do have it..

4.8 and 6.2 do not have it...

#14 ·
If the engine still runs ok, then it's not too late for a delete. If the engine doesn't run ok, then you may have to also repair/replace other parts, besides the parts for the afm delete, to make it work right.