Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Speedometer Recalibration

24K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  drew0982 
#1 ·
I have a new 2011 1500 Silverado. The stock tires are 245/70/17. I want to upgrde to the option # 2 tire size of 265/70/17. What info will the dealer need to recal the speedo ? Will they just enter the tire size or will they enter the correct "RPM" " Revs Per Mile" ? Will they make any adjustments to the trans shift point or will that be automatically done by the computer ?

#2 ·
I've never done it but I am pretty sure you just give the dealer the tire size. Is that size available from the factory as an option? If it isn't, I would inquire with the dealer before the purchase or maybe somebody elso on here has info about aftermarket programmers that will do the same thing. Yes it will sightly change the shift points but probably nothing you will really notice.

#3 ·
Hypertech has programer just for changing tire size and all the performance tuners will adjust for your tire and gear changes. And like lzn197 said, call and verify that the mechs can program that size of tire before driving in.

#7 ·
As for cost it will vary by dealer. Some will charge a min 1 hr labor even if it took less time.

example that includes changing wheel size.... Note I do not know how current this is
Re-Programming
It will be necessary to reprogram the PCM for speedometer accuracy. Contact Techline (1-800-828-6860 English or 1-800-503-3222 French) to obtain a VCI number. Then refer to the table below for the appropriate calibration part number based on the model year and axle ratio.

Calibration Information Documentation

Make a copy of the "Accessory Wheel and Tire Information Form" included in this bulletin.
Provide all information required on the form.
Make a copy of the completed form for the customer to keep in the vehicle along with their Owner's Manual.
File the original completed form in the Dealership's Vehicle Service History folder.
Important: Because this is not a warranty repair, dealers will incur a charge to obtain a VCI number.
Warranty Information

Wheels
All GM Accessories sold and permanently installed on a GM vehicle PRIOR to new vehicle delivery will be covered under the provisions of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

In the event GM Accessories are installed AFTER new vehicle delivery, or are replaced under the new vehicle warranty, they will be covered (parts and labor) for the balance of the vehicle warranty, but in no event less than 12 months/12,000 miles (in Canada, 12 months/20,000 kilometers). This coverage is only effective for GM Accessories permanently installed by a GM dealer or a GM approved ADI (Accessory Distributor / Installer).

GM Accessories sold over-the-counter, or those not requiring installation, will continue to receive the standard GM Dealer Parts Warranty of 12 months from the date of purchase (parts only).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.