jQuery not supported.

2003 Silverado 1500 2WD dying & driveshaft problems

2003 Silverado 1500 2WD dying & driveshaft problems

Postby SaifIzhar [OP] » Apr 29 2017, 6:30am

So my truck is an '03 single cab, long bed 1500 4.3L v6 2WD with 99k on the dash. I just got new tires on my truck and it drove BEAUTIFULLY the first day. The next few days I drove it and started hearing a noise like a branch snapping. I drove it around more and I started feeling shaking and a ryrhmic squeaking and light clunking. I definitely feel like it's the driveshaft but I'm not very knowledgable about trucks. Anyways, yesterday I was driving in a parking lot and I noticed the truck jittering and acting weird and very weak when I pushed the accelerator down. I thought maybe the tow/ haul mode wasn't on but the light wasn't on... so I pressed the tow haul button and the truck seemed to be working fine after that BUT the tow/ haul light on the dash never came on or off. Even when I press it now on or off I have no way of knowing if it's active. (Mind you, whenever I drive now I still notice the clank/ squeak coming from under the cab at like 20mph) so I left work tonight and got to the end of the Main Street and stopped at the light, as it turned green I accelerated BARELY and I felt it jittering and like almost backfiring and it just died in the middle of the intersection. I turned the key and it wouldn't turn over. I sat there for a minute and got out and got back in and kept on the gas and kept turning the key and it REALLY did NOT want to start but I got it running and it felt really weak again and drove it home (only 5 minutes away) but it seemed week and jittery when i first started moving and then it seemed okay to drive home. Any advice or ideas please??? I bought the truck in November with 88k on it. Recent services I've had done within the last 6k miles; oil changes, replace drivers side wheel hub assembly, new tires, new alternator, there was a short somewhere in the wiring harness that made the truck die over and over so I had that fixed (there was a language barrier over the person that fixed it so I don't know where the short was but that problem is fixed). Thank you in advance for any help.
Original Poster
SaifIzhar
Topics: 1
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Base 4.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2003 Silverado 1500 2WD dying & driveshaft problems

Postby SaifIzhar [OP] » May 19 2017, 7:09pm

Update for anyone who cares, the problem with it dying was fixed by a simple tune up. I changed the plugs, wires, cap & rotor changed the air filter, cleaned the carb, added sea foam to the fuel system and everything seems to be running well. The cracking noise is still there when I change gears and take off from a stop and vibrates at all speeds but the noise coming from the suspected driveshaft doesn't come at highway speeds. Will get that fixed soon.
Original Poster
SaifIzhar
Topics: 1
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Base 4.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 4300 4.3L V6