Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2008 V6 4.3 engine on 1998 sierra truck

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  afsif35 
#1 ·
Ok guys I have a 1998 V6 4.3 vortec GMC 1500 Sierra truck . I have recently installed a 2008 V6 4.3 vortec engine, I am using all the same 1998 wire harness, sensors and intake manifold. All I am using is the block and heads off the new 2008 engine I have replaced the reluctur ring on crankshaft and crankshaft sensor with its original one (1998). truck does run but its out of timing, when I accelerate it responds good. but will not idle I have to keep foot on gas pedal to keep it from stalling. Weird thing about it, is that it will only run between #1 and #6 on distributor firing order. I have tried right at #1 where it suppose to be and does not run at all, I have already tried before #1, 180 degrees across, almost everywhere around and only runs between #1 and #6. Question is if anyone knows if 2008 camshaft is different than 1998 or is it ECU issue? if its ECU issue can it be manipulated to change timing on ECU since distributor is fixed on truck and cannot be moved? anybody knows if doing an ECU tunning will fix problem? I have already check for codes only code I get is something dealing with timing.

#2 ·
Check he part number from GM on the crank and cam sensors. They may be the same or may have superseded into the same number. But my guess is they are different.
Or if they are the same, the crank or cam may have changed and may have the sensor pick-up in a different location throwing your timing code.
It sounds like this is gonna be frustrating.......good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.