jQuery not supported.

4.3L Engine Problems

4.3L Engine Problems

Postby ckampsen1068 [OP] » Oct 28 2013, 10:21pm

I have a 2001 4.3L V6 in my Chevy Silverado. It seems to be having multiple issues.
1. Service engine light will come on and blink while accelerating on highway but no code is returned when scanned.
2. Acceleration is very difficult. Going up hills I really have to put my foot into it, and even to get it going quickly on the highway I have to fully press the accelerator.
3. The engine has a very high pitched roar when accelerating. Not sure if this is normal with these engines.
4. The engine shifts either late or very rough. The shift points seem to be set wrong, and between 1st and 2nd gear my truck will lurch when shifting. But once again no codes are being returned. The engine also has a dead miss but once again, no code.
Replaced the mass air flow sensor, spark plugs, etc., but nothing has fixed it so far. Like I said, I'm not sure if all of these issues are just something these V6's have, or I have a different problem, but so far no mechanic has been able to diagnose anything. Just looking for some guidance on what to fix or what direction to go in.
Thanks for any help!
Original Poster
ckampsen1068
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.3L V6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 4.3L Engine Problems

Postby ASTE25 » Oct 28 2013, 10:48pm

I'd suspect a misfire condition. If it has been misfiring long enough, it may have damaged the converters and they may be clogging up too. Your symptoms sound exactly like this is what is happening. A misfire can also be caused by a vacuum leak. The intake gaskets are known to leak on those engines.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Vortec 4300 4.3L V6