Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

The miss that never goes away

1K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  ChevyGuy88 
#1 ·
Okay guys have a on going problem here ever since I've owned this truck it's been having a miss I replaced plugs and wires and it fixes it for a couple days put new ap and rotor fixes it for a couple days but it always comes back and is 10x worse when it's dew outside it "spudders" between 2-3000 rpm and clears up when I give it a lot of gas. I'm thinking mass air flow sensor what y'all think?

#6 ·
I have had this issue. It would miss on light throttle constantly (more when it was humid out) and when I added throttle it clear up. I replaced everything, wires, plugs, caps, rotors, coils, MAF, etc etc. Turned out to be my distributor gear. And to me seems to be a common problem with these. I replaced the whole distributor as that was easier than finding the right gear and getting that one lined up to where the original was. The humidity, I'm not sure how that affects it (has to do with the different angle of spark and gasses in the cap if I'm right), but mine worked great after replacing the distributor and still does.

#9 ·
I ordered an AC Delco Distributor same distributor as original. I was a little disappointed seeing a plastic shaft housing, but that wasn't my issue and that didn't fail on me. The gear did. So it wasn't a big deal. I got it off of Amazon for about $160. It seems to have gone up about $10, however. So its about $170 right now.
Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQ ... UTF8&psc=1

#10 ·
Do you know if there available at a auto parts store?

#16 ·
I do all my own work so it wasn't bad and I am familiar with this kind of work. It took about 30-45 min total including a test drive. I pulled the plug wires off, took the cap off, then snuck in with a ratchet wrench removed the clamp bolt. Take note of where the rotor tip is located. Mark it somewhere (on the firewall works). Pulled the distributor up, the rotor will turn a little bit because the gears are disengaging from eachother. When the rotor stops moving take another note (this time by a "number on a clock" 1-12 and don't forget the number). You can then finish removing the assembly and clean up the gasket surface for the new piece. Install the new piece making sure the first mark you made lines up. If not, remove and try again. If you have to, spin the oil pump drive shaft to line up with the bottom of the gear. Make sure the assembly is fully seated on the sealing surface and tighten up the clamp using the original bolt. Install the cap, and wires making sure each goes to the respective contact. If you are not familiar with distributor engines or don't want to take chances, I wouldn't do this by yourself.

#17 ·
Okay I appreciate may just order it and have a shop put it in for me

#18 ·
I replaced ignition coil,plugs,wires and fuel filter today since it needed a tune up anyways.didnt solve anything so going to replace distributor next week..hopefully this is the problem. like it was for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.