jQuery not supported.

What is the normal operating temp of 4.3 engine?

What is the normal operating temp of 4.3 engine?

Postby Dadio [OP] » Oct 15 2011, 11:47pm

Hey guys. Check engine light is on. Checked the codes and one of them indicated engine was running to cold !!! That's a new one issue for me as I always thought the cooler your engine ran the better but.... What I need is what your normal, fully warmed up, operating temp is. Mine is running between the 160 and 210 marks on the gauge and until the check engine light came on I wouldn't ave given it a second thought. Auto zone guy said it could be low coolant which it isn't, bad thermostat, which I have replaced, or the temp sensor, which I have yet to replace.
The other code indicated a bad wheel speed sensor. Removed and cleaned the sensor but still getting the check engine but that could be from the coolant level so waiting to see what you guys come up with. Truck is a 2006 which I just bought so don't know the history but it only has 27 K miles and is like new inside and out. One owner. Runs great, no over heating, have done nothing to the engine since I got it and other than the check engine it runs great. Getting about 15-16 mpg mixed hwy and city mileage.
Original Poster
Dadio
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.3 L V6 manual
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  starts fine when cold but dies when gets to operating temp   Burning oil smell after major engine work, is this normal   Low Engine Temp   is this normal???   Coolant Temp???   02 Silverado Temp Gauge lower than usual   A quart low on oil normal after 4k miles between oil change?   engine ping   4.3L Engine Problems   Engine Idle   Engine size?   engine swap help   Engine Trouble   4.8 engine swap 
Vortec 4300 4.3L V6 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: What is the normal operating temp of 4.3 engine?

Postby jocko463 » Oct 16 2011, 2:01am

There are two sets of thermostats on most late model vehicles; one drives the dash engine temp gauge, the other is the one used by the PCM computer. It might be and indication the PCM thermostat has gone bad.

Just a bit below the 210 deg on the dash gauge seems to be where my truck likes to sit
I'm not so much a smart guy as a guy smart enough to know how to find out....
'98 Sierra SL Reg Cab Short Bed
'06 Sierra SLE Extd Cab Short Bed

Support American Manufacturing and American Workers:
www.usamade.wordpress.com
www.americanmadeyes.com
jocko463
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1998
Extra Info: SL Short Bed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dadio [OP] » Oct 16 2011, 2:16pm

Thanks. Since the themostat change that seems to be where mine is now. Can't get the codes to go away though. Will get them read again and see what's up. Was going to change the ABS sensor while I had it out but thought I might save the $$'s if cleaning it had worked. As there is grease all over the sending wheel not sure why leaning the sensor would have made any difference anyway. The ABS dash light isn't on and amcuriousnwhy that is so if the speed sensor is bad.
Original Poster
Dadio
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jocko463 » Oct 16 2011, 3:21pm

It sounds like you do not own a code reader. You might consider buying one ...the basic units are not that expensive anymore and are almost a mandatory item for troubleshooting these days.

Some codes do not reset right away ...even if the problem causing the light to come on is fixed. The computer needs a certain number of start cycles without the problem before it will reset on its own. And that's another reason why a code reader is a handy device; you can erase and reset the Check Engine Light at will.

The basic readers do not interrogate the ABS system; for that you'll need a much more sophisticated unit and even those don't have full functionality.

The ABS sensor may have had a bad/loose electrical connection or a bad ground. Grease on the cogged wheel shouldn't effect the sensing but I'd wanna know why there's a bunch of grease all over it .....might be a seal leaking ...blown ball joint or axle CV boot (if you have 4WD)
I'm not so much a smart guy as a guy smart enough to know how to find out....
'98 Sierra SL Reg Cab Short Bed
'06 Sierra SLE Extd Cab Short Bed

Support American Manufacturing and American Workers:
www.usamade.wordpress.com
www.americanmadeyes.com
jocko463
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1998
Extra Info: SL Short Bed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dadio [OP] » Oct 16 2011, 7:35pm

jocko463 wrote:It sounds like you do not own a code reader. You might consider buying one ...the basic units are not that expensive anymore and are almost a mandatory item for troubleshooting these days.

Some codes do not reset right away ...even if the problem causing the light to come on is fixed. The computer needs a certain number of start cycles without the problem before it will reset on its own. And that's another reason why a code reader is a handy device; you can erase and reset the Check Engine Light at will.

The basic readers do not interrogate the ABS system; for that you'll need a much more sophisticated unit and even those don't have full functionality.

The ABS sensor may have had a bad/loose electrical connection or a bad ground. Grease on the cogged wheel shouldn't effect the sensing but I'd wanna know why there's a bunch of grease all over it .....might be a seal leaking ...blown ball joint or axle CV boot (if you have 4WD)

Codes went out this AM and haven't returned. As for the grease on the sensor, does the sensor wheel reside inside the wheel hub ormisnit exposed on the back side ? It looked as if it where encased in the wheel hub with the wheel bearing. Will check the ball joint , no CV joints on my rear wheeler.
Have thought about buying an OBDII / CAN bus capable reader several times as I have been , and still am, a Porsche owner and reading codes and resetting the chk eng light is a big hobby of those who own them. :) Reader for Porsche that will reset codes and address other areas of the various computers is real pricey and, as the software that drives it would be useless for anything but a Pcar, have never done more than contemplate it. Looked at basic readers and there were many different ones priced all over the place. Any suggestions as to which ABS capable reader is preferable ? Leaning toward lap top driven version as they are cheaper and would be a good deal easier to use given the larger higher resolution screen?
Original Poster
Dadio
Group Membership:
Registered users