Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Idle is smooth-then rough-then dies

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bigjoe285 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 4.8l silverado and I am driving down the road and my truck loses almost all of its power. Pulled off to the side and the truck is rumbling at a low-low idle a lot like a bad coil pack. I turned it off, then back on again was staring at the engine struggling to stay running then it revs up to 2000 rpm all by itself. Turned it off again and ever since that point it dies everytime you push on the gas.
I was and am being advised by the most knowledgable people I personally know, so I've checked the battery, took out the alternator and got it tested-it's good, replaced the throttle body control but that was good and did nothing, cleaned off the idle control sensor that did nothing. It hasn't thrown any codes no matter how many times I've checked haha. No check engine no nothin'.
So with a full battery charge to get her going it will start just fine, idle like she is about to treat me right, then goes back to idling like crap, then dies. So I was thinking maybe something is gunked up in the fuel line (fuel filter is 3 months old) so I took of the shrader valve on the fuel rail to see if it had fuel supplying it. It'll spray then stop with ignition on. Tried to blow it back with an air compressor. All to no avail. And that's where I'm at. Lemme know what you think!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.