Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

looking for a intake for better air flow and performance

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  06MonteSS 
#1 ·
Im looking for a good quality intake for better air flow and overall engine performance, ive heard K&N are the best but ive also heard they sometimes have problems and can even restrict airflow? Dont know if I believe that.. but In search of an intake but not sure which one to pick, any suggestions?

#2 ·
You cant go wrong with K&N, but make an educated decision. Look for dyno and or mpg proven tests by the mfgr, and see if you can back it up with someone who has installed it ....for their opinion. You can spend a lot of money on finding HP and or fuel efficiency. They go hand in hand, the more efficient an engine, the more hp and/or tq you are making. You can also ask the manufacturer for proven testimonials from real people.
Be careful with your terminology as well, an "intake" could be misunderstood for an intake manifold. I believe you where looking for a "cold air induction" kit or (CAI).
There are some awesome intake manifolds out there, but that can get a bit spendy.

You may want to check out a full synthetic swap on engine, front & rear diffs, and transfer case. I saw a thing on tv with a Royal Purple swap and they found something like 7-8 hp with dyno proven results.
Not everyone has the access to a dyno.....instead make a 100 mile comparison before and after. Drive the same 100 mile location the same way and measure your fuel usage. More efficient means more hp......I'm not sure how you measure how much hp you may have increased though...for that you need a dyno unless you are a gifted mathematician.

Be careful, because I have seen people add up the advertised power gains from modifications, for example: 8 hp from a CAI, 7HP from cat back exhaust,and 7hp from synthetic oil may not come out to 22hp on the dyno. In theory that should be true...but rarely is the case.
Like I said earlier, make an educated decision...do the leg work, your wallet will appreciate it.

#7 ·
Nope, he's got a 2003.. truck is too old... Cold Air Inductions does not make them for that truck... has to be 2007 or newer....

But I am also a dealer for K&N, AFE, and AEM intakes and could definitely get you hooked up with one of those.... :twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.