Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Oil change :: CEL :: lifter tick?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ChevyTech83 
#1 ·
99 silverado. ~165k mi.

I've always changed my own oil but I have an issue that I would like input on.

Sunday I changed my oil just like I always have. Same oil, same filter, No issues. Yesterday my check engine light fires up and today I'm hearing a soft tick in the engine at idle.

Oil level is good, pressure gauge is where it should be. Could these issues be related?

I'm bringing it in to pull the codes later but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
its common of trucks in your era (99-07 classic) develop a lifter tick. mine has it also and i have just shy of 130k miles! still runs like new tho. im not to worried

#3 ·
Yea, the tick alone wouldn't be enough to concern me too much. The fact that it happened right after I changed the oil, coupled with the check engine light, is what concerns me.

I went to get the codes pulled today and wouldn't you know it, half way there the light went out.

#7 ·
If the MIL went out, then the conditions that were present to trigger the light were no longer present, and all checks were passed.

Basically, if the MIL light goes out on its own, then the computer will erase the code. You might be able to pull the freeze frame data from the computer, but the code itself will not be stored unless there is something pending.

#8 ·
Mine also had a lifter tick, had since about 50k KM, Im pushing 130k now, no performance drop, still ran great, but the other week I needed to do an oil change and my mechanic buddy told me to throw a liter of ATF in so I did and no more tick. I am going to change the oil again after about 1500 km. Im told its fine to run the ATF for the full oil change but Im not going to take my chances since the tick is gone so mission accomplished as far as Im concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.