Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Truck won't start

4K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  SierraHarley 
#1 ·
Went out this morning and my truck started up but when I went to back out it was bogging down bad. I let off the gas and it stayed idling but then went to back up again and it died. I couldn't get it to start even though it cranked. I sat for a minute or so and it started up but wouldn't idle and died. I waited a bit again and it started again and I tried revving it but it bogged down and died. I can't get it to start at all now even though it cranks fine.
I tried turning on the key to see if I could hear the fuel pump but I couldn't. I don't even remember if I could hear it before this crap happened.

Any ideas? Does it sound like a fuel pump? If it is the fuel pump I hope to hell it ain't gonna cost much to fix around the holidays. Guess I'll need to get it towed in to a shop as well. :roll:

#3 ·
sounds like the fuel pump to me too

#4 ·
Not sure what year my cousins truck is but we had to put two in his. Had to pull the bed off the rear of the truck to get to it. Much easier then dropping the tank.

#10 ·
Just got home and checked the fuel pump relay and I hear it click but I still don't hear the fuel pump running. I have tried so many times I ran the battery down now.

I called the dealer and they want $400 labor to change the fuel pump (if that is even really what it is) and the pump from them is $360. I called another local mom and pop shop and they want $700 to do it.
I see the same AC Delco pump at Amazon that the dealer quoted $360 for but it is $157 or so at Amazon.
I don't have anyone to help lift the bed so I guess I get a nice Christmas present and get to spend a bunch of money on my truck.
Sucks ass.

I didn't have any other problems with the truck till this morning. Filled it up Saturday, drove it 60 miles, parked it then this morning it acted like shit. If it was bad gas the fuel pump should still be making noise shouldn't it? Also it is 45F out right now so I figure it might start when I got home but nope still the same bs.
I don't have a rubber mallet to hit the gas tank but I do have a claw hammer and I'm pissed off enough to ram it through the gas tank if that will help.

#11 ·
Just went out and beat on the underside of the gas tank near where the fuel pump should be then turned the key on... nothing.
I did like tcanthonyii said and pressed the shrader valve on the passenger side under the engine cover while the key was on and it just dribbled a few drops of gas.

#13 ·
I already said I filled it up Saturday then drove it 60 miles and parked it till this morning.
The battery won't crank the truck now though.
I'd go ahead and order the fuel pump from Amazon or Rock Auto but now I see there are several it could be. Arrgg

I went outside, crawled under the truck in the dark and stuck my phone up where I thought the fuel pump should be and took a pic. I see it has two connectors so it should be the AC Delco MU1613 pump and Rock Auto has it for $149.92 including 2 day business shipping after 5% discount

#15 ·
Yea at least that should save a little money... well unless it turns out not to be the fuel pump then I just wasted almost $150 on an unneeded fuel pump. :?

#16 ·
Spray some starting fluid into air intake see if it runs on that. I had one go out one time. Truck ran find when I went to pick up my boys from school. Came out to leave and truck wouldn't start. Fuel pump gave me no indication it was about to go out. Also in that year truck 2002, those fuel pumps were loud. If you can remember hearing it before and now you can't that's a pretty good indication as well. Good luck bro.

#17 ·
I saw on youtube someone said to spray some starting fluid in the air intake and if it started that proves it's the fuel pump. I still don't understand how that proves it, it could still be no power getting to the pump or something.
I would try it but I have no starting fluid and the battery is run down. I have a small motorcycle battery charger hooked up to it now but I doubt it will do much for it. Maybe tomorrow after work I'll go buy some and try that if the battery is charged enough.
I guess I'll be waiting for that fuel pump which says it should be here next Monday and then I'll have it towed to get fixed. At least I have USAA and they said the towing was free or I'd be wasting even more money.

#18 ·
I had another make/model vehicle that presented the same exact symptoms as you described. Initially thought fuel pump but ignored it cause it looked brand new, replaced several other things but still same symptoms. Long story short, finally looked at fuel pump, fell apart as it was removed, whoever put it in had split it in half while installing it evidently...

#20 ·
Hope that fixes it for you. I'd say your right on with the fuel pump. Also they are not that hard to change by dropping the tank. Though it is easier to remove the bed. the ones i have done in the past I have always just dropped the tank. Did one on a s10 one time by removing the bed. How many miles you got on her? if your around 150k+ it's due for a pump.

#21 ·
It's got about 94,000 miles on it.

#23 ·
Yes it has a fuel filter and I thought of that but then I should still hear the fuel pump even if the filter was clogged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.