jQuery not supported.

Upgrades for my Silverado?

Upgrades for my Silverado?

Postby YFZguy593 [OP] » Sep 16 2011, 9:34am

Hey guys, I bought a 2WD 2004 Silverado with the 4.8L V8 engine under the hood back in September of 2010. I love my truck. I just hit 100k miles about 2-3 weeks ago. I got a Magnaflow Muffler and Custom Exhaust tip on it already. I also have a Spectre intake system on it too. Is there anything else I can do to get my truck to unleash more horsepower and/or torque without spending 4k on a turbo-charger system? Also I am looking to get a good leveling kit for it. But I want to lower it down. I haul two quads or a rhino with a 16ft flad-bed trailor with gear and fuel in the bed of my truck 150 miles to Glamis Sand Dunes in Cali. Will a lowering kit affect my towing performance? I only want to level it out or lower it an inch or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Original Poster
YFZguy593
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Slammed 1500 LS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Upgrades for my Silverado?

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Sep 16 2011, 1:32pm

Well, as far as lowering it, I have not a clue other than removing a leaf...but that may be absolutely incorrect so don't hold me to anything. As far as performance issues, there are two I can think of off the bat and that would be a chip and headers...just don't know how much either would help with the 4.8l. I'm sure others will chime in.
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator (borderline Redneck variety)

Onlyina_Chevy: you've joined back into the Android ranks?
starspangled6.0: can't wait to dump the iphone
starspangled6.0: i was wrong
starspangled6.0: you were right
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 137
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby chevydevil » Sep 16 2011, 5:13pm

You can get a tuner or TBS but I've notice its either hit or miss with TBS. Im not to sure about what lowering your truck will do for your towing sorry
chevydevil
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby YFZguy593 [OP] » Sep 16 2011, 6:42pm

Okay thanks guys, but I have seen good and bad reviews about chips. Also with the headers situation would they just bolt on to the stock exhaust tubing? or will i have to get them welded to the stock exhaust.
Original Poster
YFZguy593
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby deadman » Oct 27 2011, 1:41am

i have a 1998 s10 lowered 4/4 with 2inch drop spindles and 2 inch coils in the front and a 4 inch block in the rear and towing was not affected other than the rough ride however if you use a smaller block and pull a leaf it will ride better also you can add a air load assist you should be fine. and buy the correct shocks and not use the stock shock until the blow out.
deadman
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2006
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 4.8 auto 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Oct 29 2011, 6:31am

I used drop shackels and got about 1 1/2 in the rear, but haven't towed with it since. My daughter's camper didn't drop my truck much at all, so I think I'd still be above level if I pulled it now. Pulling a leaf will definitely reduce your towing capability.

How does your truck sit with a loaded trailer on it? If it sits level loaded I'd leave it alone. If it's low, I'd probably bag it to take up the slack. If it's still high, then I'd used drop shackels.
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 46
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby rdss » Oct 29 2011, 5:00pm

OP, most headers bolt on to the cats (shorty) or cat back (long tube). The long tube style will give you the most gains and I recommend going with high flow cats vs. cat delete unless you plan on getting the rear O2 sensors deleted through tuning. You cant "chip" out trucks, when you tune you are actually uploading new tuning perimeters into the ECU and the ECU does all the managment. Right now custom tuning is poplular but I would recommend waiting until you are finished with your mods prior to going this route or you can choose my route which is going to be a Diablo Sport product, either the new InTune when it releases or the Trinity which costs a bit more. It gives you the option for a "canned" tune (safe for your vehicle with most mods from Diablo) and the option to have a Diablo tuner like Lew (aka Diablew or 04MonteSS on this site I believe) do a custom E-Tune.

Breaking open your engine you can do head work, LSX intake, cams and I am sure you can stroke it as well, but this starts to push you closer to the S/C and turbo price range with the possibilty that your combination will not produce the power you want and it wont run right with out proper tuning and will probably not make that same power realiably.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby YFZguy593 [OP] » Oct 29 2011, 5:50pm

Where can I find this diablo sport tuner thing?
Original Poster
YFZguy593
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rdss » Oct 29 2011, 5:57pm

AutoAnything.com has the Diablo Sport Predator for about 300 shipped I think and the Triniti runs about 600 shipped (don't quote me, it has been a while since I was on their site and priced them out). Make sure that you get the usb cable and power source with it so that you can update it to the most current software on the device and get the most up to date tune as well and if you do decide on custom tuning you will need it anyway to send out your data logs.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby JennaBear » Oct 29 2011, 6:02pm

Your vehicle already comes with hiflow cats (they actually outflow many other performance vehicle cats).

Since you are wanting towability and going to be in the sand, I would recommend a cam, headers and possibly even gears. The 4.8Ls definitely have potential, being the little brother to some of the larger engines- but just need to know what mods to start with.

I would not lower your vehicle, you are only asking for trouble in the sand. Have you looked into replacing your front keys with Ford keys? This will give you an extra 2-3" of crank int he front without terrorizing your ride (plus they are cheap).

Since you tow, I would look into a supercharger over a turbo.

Personal opinion: We have superchargers on our personal vehicles for two big reasons, they are HEAVY and DDs. I wanted the quick off the line get up and go, ease for merging in traffic, reliable, and good MPGs. I didn't need something for the track (rarely do I go above 85MPH), so I wanted my power down low.

I LOVED the Radix 112 on my 5.3L Tahoe, that thing was a beast. Coupled with the right cam, she would scoot.

The TBSS (TVS1900) and SSS (TVS2300) are downright nasty with boost, granted they have larger engines (hence the larger blowers).

Were we to put something on the WS6, it probably would have been a turbo.

EDIT: There are two primary types of blowers:

Positive displacement: maggie, whipple, vortech, which makes boost immediately

Centrifugal: Like a Procharger, which builds boost as RPM increases
Some show and a bit of go...
JennaBear
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: SS