jQuery not supported.

2009 5.3 Silverado

Bad throttle body??

2009 5.3 Silverado

Postby BadBlackZ71 [OP] » Jan 22 2011, 1:27am

It all started about 5 weeks ago when I was driving to work and my truck puked on me. I went to pull out into traffic and the Service stabilitrac, Service traction control, and Engine power reduced warnings all came up on my information center along with the check engine light and the traction control light. Once that all happend my truck jsut about died and I could not go anywhere. I called onstar and they had me turn the truck off for a couple minutes and that reset the system(??????????? i guess ???????????) When I started my truck back up it was runing like normal but my engine light was still on and all the warnings were gone from the information center. After that I did like they suggested and drove to the nearest dealership. Once I got to the first dealership the guy looked at me like I was an idiot because I was pissed after he told me it was going to take them probaly 6hrs before they could look at my truck and I was welcome to wait in to "lounge". Needless to sas I left that dealership and on to the next one I went. I got there and it was even worse service.........this guy tells me they might be able to look at it in the morning so I was welcome to leave it with them and have some one come pick me up. Not a chance. Mind you both dealerships that I went to did not have a single car in their service bays when I was there so I was pretty confused why it would take so long to get my truck in and check out the issue. I left that dealer and said screw it, my trucks running fine for now I will drive it until I can afford to leave it at the dealer for a couple days. That same day the engine light turned off and I was back to normal........well this past wednsday (jan-19) driving home from work all the exact same issues as before except this time I was doing about 75mph on I-75 and it was a little more of a supprise to me. I pulled over called onstar yata yata yata................. all the same as the first time. Drove it home that night and first thing in the morning I went to my local dealership and they were willing to take my truck and give me a service vehicle that I could drive until my truck was ready for pick up. I got the call this morning they had replaced my throttle body and recalibrated my throttle position censor. So far so good. I am just wondering If any one els has had the same issue or anything similar happen to them????

Thanks

BadBlackZ71 (Maybe it should be BustedBlackZ71......)
Original Poster
BadBlackZ71
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Crew Cab LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2009 5.3 Silverado

Postby koolz71 » Jan 22 2011, 5:22pm

Ive had issues with O2 sensors playing tricks on me causing it to puke and stumble but never anything as severe as u said. Good luck, hope treats u good. If we can help you with anything else just let us know
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Jan 26 2011, 6:30pm

I had a bad throttle position sensor on my last truck. I had similar symptoms. The truck would barely run, and would not idle. Once replaced, I never had an issue again. I think you are good to go.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby glens08 » Jan 30 2011, 11:13pm

Odd it was a throttle body. They are pretty simple devices. Throttle position sensor, on the other hand, can cause all kinds of grief if they start to malfunction. Anyway, getting a new throttle body at least means you won't have clean it for a few months :).
Best wishes.
Glen
glens08
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JCunningham » Feb 09 2011, 9:30am

the throttle body was covered under warranty right. They don't go bad.
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
JCunningham
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 101
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hartski » Feb 09 2011, 12:16pm

I've heard of the computers going bad
in omnia paratus
Hartski
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 6
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Feb 09 2011, 1:40pm

JCunningham wrote:the throttle body was covered under warranty right. They don't go bad.

I agree. The TB can get gunked up sometimes, but that just requires a good cleaning. I have never heard of one being replaced. Hopefully it fixes it, though.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby dbstephens » Jan 02 2013, 5:58pm

I have just received a letter from GM saying that they would repair this problem on our 2009 Sierra for up to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

Our truck had the same symptoms @ 4 weeks ago. I cleaned the connector on the throttle body and charged the battery. All symptoms went away and I cleared the code for the trottle body with a code reader. I thought all was well until receiving this letter.

Looks like we will be seeking a permanent repair under this service bulletin.

LDS
dbstephens
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8