jQuery not supported.

2009 with a intermittent problem

trac control? reduced engine power

2009 with a intermittent problem

Postby rustyfs2 [OP] » Dec 30 2010, 7:06pm

HI all,
I'm not exactly sure if this is where I should post this so if its not in the correct place I'm sorry, I have a 2009 silverado 5.3 z71 extended cab, here is the problem I have been doing alot of highway driving lately about 1000 miles at a wack, while cruzing along with cruse control on or off up a hill or straight it seems to have no pattern the truck will feel like it miss fires or stumbles its like a very small thing sometimes I dont feel it at all, when this happends the traction control light comes on followed in seconds by the stabilatrac light then the reduced engine power comes on( all on the DIC) I have to pull over to the side of the road and turn the truck off wait about 30-60 seconds and then start back up and head off again, the check engine light stays on and I can sometimes go for hours and sometimes only a few miles and it happends again, so far it has always restarted and I eventually get where I need to but its getting old, I have tried being in 4x4 auto , 2wd, trailer button engaged disengaged none of which seems to make a differance it seems to happen no matter what the road surface, I get home leave the truck sit and then the next time I go out its like nothing was ever wrong no check engine light no problems no nothing the truck runs and drives perfect, this is a tuff one for me , I am trying to get it back to the dealer before I have to leave again but last time they said they couldnt find anything, any ideas that you might have that I can talk over with the dealer or ideas on what might be wrong would sure be a big help

Thanks Rusty
Original Poster
rustyfs2
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2009 with a intermittent problem

Postby matheny9 » Dec 30 2010, 9:32pm

With a combo of the stabilitrak AND the reduced engine power I would have to say transmission problem.
matheny9
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 44
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bcw19811 » Dec 31 2010, 12:45am

I recently had the same sort of problem with my 07. I would be driving and it would only happen on the highway. The stabilitrac light would come on then it would say traction control off and the the engine would completly shut down for a split second and cut right back on. Talked to a few people and they told me that GM had problem with the negative battery cable. I replaced the $100 wire from GM and the problem was solved. Your truck might feel like it is lacking power if it is not getting enough juice and it only happens after the battery has time to lose power and it has time to fully recharge while its in the driveway.
The wire is kind of a pain in the a**. Its not as easy as I thought would but if you have waranty still it should be free. Some other people have sais the service dept told them problem fixed and they left and it wasn't because they only changed the battery. I would tell them to test that wire.
bcw19811
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Z71 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zzzzzzz » Dec 31 2010, 1:20am

bad wire ....i.e no neg
bad battery ..... bad cell in the battery will be like a bad wire
bad cpu

i had this in my jeep ,got pissed about motor would cut out on the highway ... no power
so i sold it back to them .... after someone told me there is a wire in a wheelwell that goes bad in that jeep
each time i paid the shop big $$$ and was told it was ok so let the shop deal with it ............. i miss that jeep

start looking at wires
zzzzzzz
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gmctruckguy » Dec 31 2010, 7:32am

Its suprising how much pain and suffering a little loose wire or bad battery (cell) can cause. I haven't heard of any other instances of this problem but the repair bcw stated sounds like a legit one. I have seen lots of repairs/bullitens that required cleaning the frame and tightening a ground cable.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby bcw19811 » Dec 31 2010, 6:28pm

Its funny you say that cleaning the frame because after I bought the wire and started replacing it I noticed the frame was really dirty and greasy where it was connected. Me and my friend both made remarks about if the wire was even bad or if the frame just needed to be cleaned. I cleaned it and replaced the wire because I was going on another road trip that day and wanted to make sure problem was solved.
bcw19811
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rustyfs2 [OP] » Dec 31 2010, 7:59pm

Thanks every body for your help I cant get into the dealer till late next week, I am going to check the ground cable today or tomorrow, bcw I dont suppose you can tell me where it connects to the frame? that may save me a bit of searching and i have to do it outside and its pouring today and we are suppose to get a snow storm tomorrow,

Again this site is great thanks all !

Rusty
Original Poster
rustyfs2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bcw19811 » Jan 01 2011, 7:13pm

On my 07 I had to remove the plastic skid plate. The wire runs on the passenger side of the frame along the top of it all the way at the front. Its easier if you have someboby with you on top to wiggle the wire to see you have the right one. You have to undo some of the stuff the wires are wraped together with but it is easy to put back together. It is kind of a pain but easy. I think they put it there to discourage doing it yourself. Took me about a hour to complete.
bcw19811
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rustyfs2 [OP] » Jan 06 2011, 11:59pm

Hey everyone it appears that it was in fact the ground wire, not exactly sure which one ( not sure it matters) but my truck is running awesome once again and I have yet to see the volt meter fall below 14 so I hope she is good to go for a while now. Thanks to all you that sent advice and opinions it was a hugh help

Rusty
Original Poster
rustyfs2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Jan 07 2011, 2:04pm

Wait a minute. You never said anything about your voltage going below 14. From what I understand on this charging system, some voltage drop is normal after extended driving. They reduce charging voltage to help with battery life (not overcharging) and fuel mileage.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8