Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2011 Oil Burn: Not sure what else to do.

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Gozzie 
#1 ·
2011 Chey 5.3 that has been burning since 32K miles. I had the valve covers replaced that helped for awhile but im right back to burning around 2qts of oil per 5k miles. I have been going through a oil consumption test (that they overfilled by over a half a qt when started). Im at 3000 miles into it and over a qt low. Every time I go in for the test (1000mi) they top off the oil... Isnt this keeping the viscosity up on the oil and slowing the oil burn? Does chevy expect me to top off the oil every thousand miles? Im burning around a half a qt per 1000 miles. Im sure this is slowly ruining my engine and converter. I feel Chevy is just trying to get me past 100k so my warranty is over. Im afraid that shortly after 100k miles this thing will give out and im stuck. What happened to the old 5.3's that went forever?

I also have a bad lifter rattle that they are going to fix after my oil consumption test is done.... But right now they are telling me that my oil burn is within the 1qt per 2000 range so there is nothing they are going to do.

About to give up and get rid of this thing....

#2 ·
Honestly???? Get rid of it. Try to make a deal with another truck and move on. You just hit a lemon nothing more. I have 50K on mine and I don't burn a drop. Good luck!!!

I got a lemon with a Chevy Monte Carlo once so I kept my mouth shut, cleaned it up, and traded it to a dealer an hour away for a Dodge Charger with a HEMI. Cars are mechanical objects and we as humans make mistakes so every now and then we create lemons. See if you can upgrade to a 2014 or 15. My son-in-law just traded his 09 1500 for an 2015 2500 and his payments stayed the same. That is if you have payments :)

#4 ·
Im using the Dexos brands they stated. Dealer changes.

I agree with getting rid of it. Its paid off but don't think ill be going back to Chevy after this ordeal. I have 2k miles or so to finish the oil consumption test, then new lifters. Then its gone!
Carpool guy has a 2012 5.3 Chev 52kmiles and we had to pull over to add oil due to low oil pressure on the way to work today. Pulled the stick and 2qts low.

#5 ·
They're doing the same thing to me with my '09. Guaranteed they won't do anything about it for me either and I've got 95k miles on it and my warranty expires in a month. cheers, GM.

#8 ·
Hello Party152,

We definitely understand your frustration with your concerns of your truck burning oil. I understand that your dealership has set you up with an oil consumption test. We'd be happy to document your concerns in our system. Feel free to private message us with your full contact information, VIN, mileage and the name of the involved dealership. We look forward to hearing from you!

Andraya R.
GM Customer Care

#9 ·
I contacted the dealer where I bought my truck yesterday with a similar problem and was unable to reach a "technical" advisor so left a number for a call back. Finally called another dealer as of today I am still waiting for a call back.Per the technician using a quart of oil in 2000 miles was acceptable per Chevrolet. He also suggested not using the service reminder interval and change oil every 3000 miles. Being a 2009 it is out of warranty with only 62000 miles due to time. The other solution he had was to trade up as the later trucks do not have the same problems. This was supposed to be my "last forever" retirement truck and while I like it's handling etc. it is a very disappointing product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.