Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2011 Silverado 5.3 Oil dripping off from oil filter 33K

6K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  CKNSLS 
#1 ·
Good afternoon all -

I have a puzzling issue with my 2011 Crew Cab 5.3 Silverado with 33k miles. I noticed a small leak in my garage back in June. The replace the transmission dip stick as a recall, out drive seal and real seal. After I got it back I noticed it smelled hot after I drove it a long distance... Like burning oil. Took it back to the dealership and they looked it over and couldn't find anything leaking or wet and said it would have been just some burn off from the service work. The smell continued. In September I took it back to the dealership because it still smelled hot and I had a drip again. The smell and leak, about the size of a quarter, occurs after I have driven it for about an hour to and and an hour back from the city and then park it for over night. I climbed under the truck and noticed a drop of oil on the bottom of the oil filter. Took a pic, showed dealer. They changed the oil and degreased the engine. Still have a leak on the floor. I take the truck back in november and they put dye in the oil and say to drive it for awhile. I took it back last week and they say nothing shows ups with the dye. They drove for about 20 minutes total and parked it to see if they could see a drip. They put it on lift so they could show me that there was no oil leak. There it was... A drip on the bottom of the filter. The tech said they all do that from a little expansion and contraction. Really.... Come on! It was bone dry from the top of the filter up... Just the filter was oily. Two in a row. 33,500 miles. Thoughts anyone? They are have me park in on cardboard totry makes sure that is where the drip is coming from. Appreciate any insight. My second Silverado Crew Cab. My previous was a 2009 that had the burning oil problem - 2 quarts in 3,000 miles. 33,000 miles. Bought that one brand new and traded the headache for a brand new 2011 which drip oils. Might be time to become a Ford person.

See less See more
#2 ·
mine did the exact same thing about a week after an oil change. i changed the filter with a new ac filter (exactly the same as the dealership put on) and it stopped leaking. i chocked it up to a bad filter. my guess is either you got 2 bad filters in a row or the dealership is tightening it enough.

#3 ·
3/4 turn past when the filter contacts the filter boss on the engine block. Any further and the filter gasket will begin to distort. And you won't have to resort to a big screwdriver to remove it at your next oil change.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The tech grabbed it by hand at twisted it tight and it didn't move at all, but that's by hand. Something else I noticed a couple of weeks ago, the oil pressure gauge is always above 40 and a few times I notice it drops under 40. Concern? And thanks for the welcome!

#6 ·
Orion6192 said:
Thanks for the replies. The tech grabbed it by hand at twisted it tight and it didn't move at all, but that's by hand. Something else I noticed a couple of weeks ago, the oil pressure gauge is always above 40 and a few times I notice it drops under 40. Concern? And thanks for the welcome!
You should go back to the place that gave you the oil change because that's most likely the problem the gasket or the filter not being on correctly. And just for reference the filter should only be hand tight, maybe a little snugger. There are tools for wrapping around a filter and turning it. And please don't go to ford!!!! and I bet you'll have an even dumber problem in the first few years ha ha ha.

#10 ·
Only time I ever had one leak was when I accidentally double gasket-ed (if that's a word) one. Hand tight then another 1/2 - 3/4 turn is what I always do, and what I was taught years ago.

And for the record, the double gasket filter I did was a gusher,not a dripper. Check the mounting flange of the rubber o-ring (flat spot that it mounts to) for dents or damage, that's what I would do.

#15 ·
Interesting post thread. I changed my oil and filter a while back and have noticed a drip forming on the filter. I may have overtightened it. Can the filter be replaced without tons of oil draining out?

#16 ·
Hello...I bought a 2012 crew cab 5.3L at 32k....drove the truck, did an oil change drove some more and noticed a drip on my garage floor. Crawled under the truck and with light and looked around and thought that was a filter issue, but it was snug.

Took back to dealer....discovered it was a pan gasket, which they replaced under warranty....leak was in the vicinity of the filter, dripped down side of filter, pooled on bottom and droplet fell to floor....

Since repair, case closed....

#17 ·
you guys on this site are funny, I've done numerous oil changes and seen all sorts of oil filters tight, not tight, rusty as hell, you name it I've seen it. Hey here's a bit of info AC DELCO oil filters are complete garbage!!! if you want a good filter use WIX 07-13 use 57060 filter (older and newest trucks vary) . Also yes you can take off oil filter without a huge mess, it only holds its own oil, it doesn't get any oil until engine starts

#18 ·
tl_4x4 said:
Hey here's a bit of info AC DELCO oil filters are complete garbage!!! if you want a good filter use WIX 07-13 use 57060 filter (older and newest trucks vary) .
So we are all interested in learning.....is the statement on AC Delco your opinion or fact ? What do you base this on...I don't have any ax-to-grind just interested in understanding....

Does the WIX have metal end-caps or is in the new e-Design....?

Thanx

#19 ·
Maybe you guys should look a little closer. My oil filter had oil on it at 50k miles. It wasn't the oil filter but instead the oil cooler lines (if you don't have the cooler lines then its the block seal). I cleaned up the filter itself and it took almost 2 weeks for it to drip again. that's how slow the leak is. I took it in and I mentioned to the stealership it looks like its the oil cooler assembly leaking. When I told them that they looked and sure enough it was (hard to see from underneath without a lift). If you google it there are tons of posts about the oil cooler plate and lines leaking. Its a common problem. Besides that there are quite a few threads here that talk about it.

#20 ·
Find a new dealer. A properly installed filter of the correct p/n does not leak - period. Expansion/contraction? Really??!!. The proper method is to inspect/clean the block before installing new, lube gasket, and tighten approx 3/4 turn from seating. On upright filters, I fill the filter up w/oil so it eliminates dry startup - a little detail to further help engine life.

I've changed thousands and never did one leak. I'm not boasting here, just saying this isn't rocket science. There is something wrong with that install - find a new dealer or one that doesn't think oil changes are for newbies. Your engine"s life is at stake!

And oh ya....don't be jumping to F*^#d so quick! You'll have a whole bunch of new problems to deal with! LOL! ;)

#21 ·
Op found his issue two years ago.

And this made me LOL

tl_4x4 said:
you guys on this site are funny, I've done numerous oil changes and seen all sorts of oil filters tight, not tight, rusty as hell, you name it I've seen it. Hey here's a bit of info AC DELCO oil filters are complete garbage!!! if you want a good filter use WIX 07-13 use 57060 filter (older and newest trucks vary) . Also yes you can take off oil filter without a huge mess, it only holds its own oil, it doesn't get any oil until engine starts

#22 ·
tl_4x4 said:
Hey here's a bit of info AC DELCO oil filters are complete garbage!!! if you want a good filter use WIX 07-13 use 57060 filter (older and newest trucks vary)
So.... This newb joins for 3 months in time to make a few worthless posts including this one. There is nothing wrong in the slightest with AcDelco oil filters. 1000s use them including myself with no issue. Wix is a good brand too but this oil filter snobs comment should be taken for what it is... "complete garbage"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.