Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2011 Silverado Low Oil Pressure

35K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Pak713 
#1 ·
My 2011 silverado has about 77,000 miles on it. This morning it was -24 outside. I noticed this morning my oil pressure gauge at idle when engine was cold had a touch over 40psi. After the motor warmed up on the way to work when stopping at a stop sign it would go down to 20psi. While driving at any speed 55mph and below it was only running at about 25 maybe 30psi. Never really have focused on the oil pressure gauge until this morning just because it was really cold out. It ran at the same levels on the way home and it was warmer outside. Just seems low to me. Truck runs great with no issues. I know the gauges aren't always 100% accurate as well. Truck does have afm but its disabled. Truck hasn't burned a drop of oil and I check it every couple weeks. Is this normal ranges for oil pressure in these newer 5.3's ?

I'm asking this because my 2006 sierra ran at around 50-60 psi when engine was cold, and around 40 psi when engine was warm. That truck also had a 5.3.

#2 ·
Behind the intake manifold on back of the engine there is the oil pressure sending unit, They go bad and there is a screen filter under it that plugs up making the oil pressure read low, That usually the first place to start . Do a search on it , you will find alot of info about it. Also people have had problems with defective oil filters not letting the engine holding oil pressure . That a cheap and easy thing to try also.

#3 ·
My truck has a bumper to bumper warranty. Dealer can fix it. But they won't so it's probably something I'll have to do. So is that psi normal? You info says you have a 2010 do you know about what yours reads? More looking for whats normal and what's not? That way I can at least try the dealer first. To be honest not really impressed by these newer trucks. My 2006 was a better truck. Too many things they consider to be normal on these newer trucks. I'll bet on if I took it to the dealer they would say that oil psi reading is normal.

#6 ·
That is sad. First we all have to deal with afm and how we choose to get rid of it. Now crap parts. Well looks like I'll be making an appointment at the dealership sometime next week. Thanks guys that was the info I was looking for. I'll keep you all posted.

#7 ·
I called the service department at the dealership today. They told me the pressure my truck is running is normal. Wow what a surprise. He stated that actually idling when warm should be 10-20psi. If it goes into the red or you get engine code then bring it in. He also states that the older trucks had higher oil pressure. So for now I'll be keeping an eye on it. Next oil change I'll be running wix filter and valvoline full synthetic 5w30. My truck came with oil changes free for 2 years but I don't always have free time to go there to have them do it.

#9 ·
I also get the free oil changes from the dealer. That oil pressure is probaly just fine . Mine has always ran about 40-45 psi and one day when it dropped and never came back up it got me worried. Took it in and they told me it was not right. If the motor is not making noise and runs good I would not worry about it . My friends 2010 runs about 40 psi after he changes his oil (synthetic) , he says when his oil pressure starts dropping real low he knows it time to change oil .. He says his low oil pressure light will come on sometimes . Usually under 5000 miles. This is were the they say it should be.
LC9, 30psi @ 2000 rpm
LMG, 35psi @ 2000 rpm

#10 ·
Thank guys. Ya that's were mine runs. Currently have 4000 miles on current oil. Just seems low I will keep an eye on it and if it needs to go to the dealer I'll take it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.