jQuery not supported.

5.3 Engine replacement options...

Which way would you go and why???

5.3 Engine replacement options...

Postby great08 [OP] » Mar 23 2011, 12:45am

Help needed!!! I can't make up my mind.

I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3

My engine started knocking a few thousand miles ago. So I swung into the dealership since they have the most experience with this exact motor. They basically ended up sticking a stethascope to the bottom of my engine and saying that it sounds like something down there has a bearing going bad...then charged me $89... and told me I could either pay $3000 for a used motor with no warranty and 100,000mi on the clock... or $5,200 for a remanufactured motor with a 3yr 100k mi warranty.

May be just a wrist pin or something. Sounds about right since I am always ragging on her pretty hard and she now has 166k miles on her. It was registered as a construction vehicle by it's two prior owners.

Anyways, I have decided not to let the dealership do it. They are charging $1300 just for the labor. Here are the options I have. Let me know which one you would take and why?

1. Found a used engine myself(possibly the same one the dealer found and then marked up). It has 100k miles on it and is $750 with a 90 day warrantee.

2. I could buy the remanufactured/new engine from the dealership. I checked and they said the 3yr and 100k mi warrantee would still be in effect if I did it myself. They want $3429 for just the motor.

3. Or I could get a completely remanufactured engine from these guys. They want $3000 for one and it would come with the 3yr 100k mi warrantee even if I do it myself. They have registered intallers across the nation and have been around for 70 yrs I believe.
http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php

What I would love to do is just fix my current engine but that is not an option since I just had a baby and don't have the time or place/tools.

What would you do in my shoes?

Marty
Original Poster
great08
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Long Bed
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: 5.3 Engine replacement options...

Postby lzn197 » Mar 23 2011, 1:27am

Go with the Jasper but have it professionally installed.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Mar 23 2011, 3:46am

Ditto. Sounds like you need quality transportation. Let someone do it, and take the warranty. You deserve it.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby superchevy02 » Mar 23 2011, 4:14am

I agree with everyone else on this since you dont have the time or shop/tools to do it do the jasper option. But if you had the time and tools/shop i would go through pace performance they offer a gmpp 5.3ho for $3300 thats probably gonna be my option once mine goes unless i decide to do my own rebuild. good luck either way
superchevy02
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: lt 2wd 5.3l v8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby WingNut » Mar 23 2011, 4:37am

I don't agree with everyone else. You should rebuild the engine yourself. Are you still active duty? Use the on base auto hobby shops. I know the one at Camp Lejeune has an engine machine shop, complete with certified techs to help along every step of the way, and all the tools you need. Even if your no longer active duty, you can still use these facilities as a veteran or inactive reserve.

Go the cheap route! Do it yourself.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby GMman » Mar 23 2011, 6:34am

Buy the crate engine with warranty and have GM put it in, so if there are problems it is their problem. I say this only if you really want to keep the truck . I would then sell it and take the money and buy newer truck with warranty.
Thank you
Ken
2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew 4x4 Z71 5.3L
GMman
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLE CREW 5.3L 4x4Z
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chasmanian » Mar 23 2011, 6:49am

I don't know, but if you can drop 3 grand for a engine can't you afford a car payment? Maybe not a new truck but some thing you know you will be able to take care of that baby. Not trying to sound like an A#@ but the kids come first. I know where you are, I sold a 67 Camero and a GSXR 750 when my son was born. As I look back I don't regret it. Now that my son is older we are getting our toys back and having a good time enjoying them together.
2014 Silverado, 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 Z71
5% Tint, 7.5 inch Rough Country lift, Gear Alloy Big Block wheels 20x10 with Cooper STT 35x12.50

Buying things I don't need to impress people I don't know.
Chasmanian
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 124
Year: 2014
Extra Info: HD 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby great08 [OP] » Mar 23 2011, 7:54am

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. :)

I used to be in the Army but now am in the Coast Guard. So no real shop is available to me really. The entire CG is smaller than the NY police dpt.

One of my buddies from work Does have a cherry picker and engine holder though. That is the only real reason I am willing to do the swap myself. My only engine swapping experience was on 20+ Army trucks but it's still the same principal. I just need to make sure I have all of the needed gaskets and seals ahead of time.

If I were to get a newer vehicle. I would have a $450 a month payment, higher insurance payments, higher yearly taxes, would have to get some more aftermarket things like a locking tailgate and bed cover, and would have to pay back that loan with interest. Why do that when I could just replace all of the wear items on my truck for 1/4 the price(or drastically less) and essentially have a new truck?

I have been able to keep my truck reliable through lots of preventative maintenance. Sure it involves changing a lot of things that don't need to be changed... but (almost)guarantees you won't be left stranded if you know what to look for.

I was not expecting the engine internals to begin going for another 150k mi at least. Or at least that is the way my suburban 5.7 was. No telling that the prior owners did to this truck before I started ragging on it though. lol

You guys who suggested Japser engines....
Do you have any experience with them??? If so then what is your experience???

Thanks,

Marty
Original Poster
great08
Year: 2000
Extra Info: Long Bed
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Duells » Mar 23 2011, 3:26pm

Look in to GM PN# 19165628.You can put this motor in and it has more grunt than the stock motor.
'00 Chevy Ext. Cab 5.3L/auto Hid's,Billet Servo's,SuperChips,Gibson Exhaust,K&N drop-in filter
'06 GMC RCSB 5.3L/auto Hid's,K&N drop-in filter/lowered,American Racing Wheels,in progress...
Duells
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2006
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LBZDMAX » Mar 23 2011, 3:50pm

Agreed^^ That'd be pretty sweet to have that 5.3 LS 327/327 High Output in it.
GW
2007 Duramax CCSB LBZ 4WD - SOLD
07.5 Duramax CCSB LMM 4WD

LBZDMAX
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Year: 2007
Extra Info: LBZ CCSB 4WD 2500HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8