jQuery not supported.

5.3 flex fuel sputter

5.3 flex fuel sputter

Postby jgrt87 [OP] » Apr 10 2013, 1:35am

[url][/url]Have not found any one that can fix the sputtering.I, know flex fuel system Cuts the cylinders off but i have a flowmaster 40 series and u can hear it at 40mph when u let off the throutle and lightly press it again. Also cant hold a steady rpm at 1.5 it sputters and idles up and downplz .....,help is anoying. Dealer said it was normal but I still doubt it
Original Poster
jgrt87
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: flex fuel 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  5.3 flex fuel backfire?   flex fuel problems   2013 Reg. Cab Flex Fuel   engine sputter   5.3 Flex needing a cam   flex plate wont go back on. HELP   Fuel Sending Unit in Fuel Tank   Fuel leak on fuel rail   Fuel   fuel in a 5.3   Fuel pump   fuel milage   fuel pump   fuel guage 
Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 5.3 flex fuel sputter

Postby jgrt87 [OP] » Apr 10 2013, 3:20am

Will getting a tune and turning off the afm help? What s a good programmer? And tune shop here in houston?
Original Poster
jgrt87
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jgrt87 [OP] » Apr 10 2013, 3:21am

Will getting a tune and turning off the afm help? What s a good programmer? And tune shop here in houston?
Original Poster
jgrt87
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby griff364 » Apr 10 2013, 5:13am

Well sir (I'm assuming you're a sir, please correct me if I'm wrong), welcome to the site!!

Please allow me to correct you in your terminology... What you're referring to is AFM (active fuel management) or DoD (displacement on demand).

There are two ways to get rid of this:

The first way is tearing your engine down, replacing the lifters, lifter guides, lifter valley cover, and cam.

I think you're looking for an easier way, so let me suggest the diablo sport InTuner. I have owned this tuner and it is an amazingly capable hand held tuner. You can electronically turn off your DoD and throw a "pre-made" tune on your truck to either give it a little more horsepower, or get better fuel economy.
There are many many InTune users on this site who will speak highly of it. You can pick one up new for about $390 bucks. If you'd like to get a very specific tune in accordance with the modifications you have, Lew from Diablo Sport will give you a discount on a custom tune when you buy the InTuner.

This thing will also store your stock tune to reload if you have to take it back to the dealer for warranty work.

Many people complain about the sound AFM makes when you start freeing up the exhaust. It was absolutely awful on my truck after some LT headers and 3" exhaust.

Can you tell us a little about your truck?
K&N intake, LT Headers, 3" exhaust, ARP Headstuds, COMP Cam, Upgraded rocker arm bearings, pushrods, and valve springs, AFM deleted, VVT deleted, LS7 Lifters, Tuned
Eaton SVT root supercharger @ 10 lbs
griff364
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 21
Blogs: 2
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 4x4 Flex Fuel
Group Membership:
How-to Authors