Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

5.3 oil consumption fix for $40

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  1baddad 
#1 ·
look for my post titled "5.3 oil consumption" by Howmaster,...sorry its in another discussion!

#3 ·
dsciulli19 said:
This is the link: Oil pool in intake manifold

But don't do that. You don't want everything from the PCV going into your oil. That will cause some major issues at some point. Most people don't even want that in thier throttle body, putting it in the oil is a really bad idea. Also, I have a catch can and it is the top of the line from RX performance and it has not stopped any oil loss issues, not that it should.

#4 ·
In the first 1000 miles, I sent in 2 different samples
Of oil collected in my cheapo catch can from Grainger, and
Spent $30 to have it sent in and analyzed by a small lab
Here in Michigan that checks oil for numerous trucking
Company's. My 2 samples came back with negative metal
Contaminates, zero H2o, zero raw fuel.
So, instead of just saying " you can't do that!"
I did my homework, and it's working great for those
Over active lifters!

#5 ·
howmaster said:
In the first 1000 miles, I sent in 2 different samples
Of oil collected in my cheapo catch can from Grainger, and
Spent $30 to have it sent in and analyzed by a small lab
Here in Michigan that checks oil for numerous trucking
Company's. My 2 samples came back with negative metal
Contaminates, zero H2o, zero raw fuel.
So, instead of just saying " you can't do that!"
I did my homework, and it's working great for those
Over active lifters!
You may have something that others don't, but I can assure you that the crap coming out of my catch can is not 100% oil. It's a light brown milky color and not the same consistency as oil.

#6 ·
Sounds like you need to get a handle on that milky oil issue before you go any farther
You've got some condensation getting pulled in that engine somehow.
Whether it's high dew points in your area, or power washing a engine with
A bad seal somewhere or from your antifreeze percentage.
My fix Is if you have "sound oil" only.
You could check out "Blackstone Industries" website for a $25 oil analysis.
Then you'll know what percentage of water or antifreeze is contaminating
Your oil!

#7 ·
Catch cans don't only catch oil. They also catch fuel vapors and other contaminates that escape past the piston rings. I'm glad your "fix" is working for you but I'm with the other guy, I wouldn't do it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that water vapor can also form in catch cans in humid climates and with temperature fluctuations.

#8 ·
thacounty said:
You may have something that others don't, but I can assure you that the crap coming out of my catch can is not 100% oil. It's a light brown milky color and not the same consistency as oil.
This ^^ The light brown milky colored liquid caught in catch cans seem to be what basically EVERYONE on here is getting. Except you of course.

I have seen people go as far as to pour it into shot glasses or other small cups and let it sit for a few days and the different liquids will separate. Did you have this tested once or multiple times? There's a chance that you may have gotten lucky once and now could be dumping fuel vapors and moisture into your crankcase. Im interested on Tuner Boost and Copperhead have to say on this. They are two of the most active people i've seen anywhere on catch can functions.

#9 ·
Yeah, there is a lot of condensation that can occur inside the engine that the oil catch cans can grab out of the PCV flow. That is the milky stuff. I don't get much of it in the summer months, but winter.... wow. That stuff can really give you an uneasy feeling about what would be going to the intake if it wasn't removed.

#10 ·
I didn't really didn't want this to turn into "who's truck foams up the most"! The original post was to let those with "sound oil consumption" from over active lifters, that are throwing oil into the pcv line and burning it by means of getting into the throttle body! If your only dealing with oil consumption issues and "not" with milky or foaming issues, feel free to drain your catch can into the oil filler neck by means of a 1/4" clear hose, I think you'll be glad you did! If somebody chooses not to than that's their choice.
I wish everyone God' peace. Over & Out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.